Review of Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)" by Barry Litherland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) is a story told from the perspective of a young man and journalist of a local paper - Philip Tyler. It shows us the way a set of friends - Philip Tyler, Wayne Keech, and Tina Oldfield - pull through childhood, teens, and early adulthood trying to figure out life with the shadow of their nemesis hovering right on them. The nemesis here is in form of Tyrone Keech, brother to Wayne Keech. However, not only do the friends share the same “nemesis” they also share the experience of the death of a friend. They were supposed to be done with all of the mess from their past, with Wayne having been employed to work in a factory, Philip working as a Journalist, and Tina preparing to go for her Ph.D., but as it turned out, life still had a few more twists in store for them. Now they have to deal with an accusation of burglary, old enemies from school, and even more scary, their nemesis – Tyrone Keech- and his gangster boss, George Mackie.

Barry Litherland does a great job in this book. The story is very interesting and engaging; very hard to put down. He writes suspense like the professional he is and keeps the reader’s attention to the end. He creates interesting and unique characters- with Wayne being irrepressible and Philip being timid. Barry has great storytelling abilities. He is simply an excellent author and this shows in the way he brings his characters together.

Despite the fact that this book is a great book, there was a simple fault I found in this book. I have to mention that this fault has nothing to do with Barry’s storytelling skill or his writing style; the fault I found is in the story's plot itself. I found it rather odd that the character telling the story was the one who did not have that happy of an ending. Others got all they were wishing for but the character narrating the story, making it seem like he was just a bystander who gets caught up at the end of the day. I personally felt he deserved a better ending than that. This is a great book, but if I could change one thing, I would make the narrator have a better end.

It has been a great experience reading this book and I loved it. Despite the fault I found, I still think this book is great. I think I can live with the one issue I found; however, this book was not well edited which is why I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of crime and thriller books as this book is packed full of suspense.

Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Oye Timothy »

This is a book that touched on nemesis. This would be a good thriller. Thanks for the review.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I've read this book and I enjoyed it very much! You wrote a nice summary of this book I like your perspective on Phil: I guess I never really thought about it. It would be nice to hear that he has a happier future coming up! Nice review!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”