Review of Yesterday

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunnyd2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyd2.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review of Yesterday

Post by Sunnyd2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday: A Novel of Reincarnation by Samyann is a romantic story that deals with past life regressions. A man and a woman are thrown together after a near disaster, where one saves the other, and they have a feeling they have met previously. As they get to know each other, they start investigating how their paths could have intertwined in a past life. There is one main regression that begins in 1862 and when the characters regress, the focus is on that particular timeline. Amanda also processes traumas that have happened in her current life and how to put faith and trust into a new person.

Yesterday dove right into the action almost immediately and I found myself being pulled into the story right away. As someone with Irish roots, I was also drawn to Mark who has an Irish background and uses a number of Gaelic endearments, which were a really sweet addition to the narrative. When the book discusses past life theory, I thought it was handled in an interesting way, as opposed to other past life timeline switches that I have read in other stories. I really related to Amanda, as a character, as she learns how to trust again.

I did not like the portrayal of the Black characters in 1862 during the past life regressions. Their dialogue was written in what may be a historically accurate portrayal of the colloquialisms of freed Black people during the time, however it rang false for me. Additionally, I thought the past life timeline was built up rather slowly but then the ending felt rushed. Jack was a primary focus of the regressions but I wanted to know more about Daniel and his relationship and that timeline seemed cut short. I also was under the impression that there would be multiple past life romances. Perhaps it was set up in the too recent past because there was only one past life romance.

I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars because it was an interesting story that had me hooked from the beginning. The book discussed a few significant historical events with historical accuracy and I felt like I learned more about this time period.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in past lives, and the idea that two people are destined to find each other. If you like romance and are also interested in 19th century American history, you might enjoy Yesterday: A Novel of Reincarnation!

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I have reviewed this book too, and I have to admit, I loved it. Though their love story was a bit fast-paced, but the reincarnation theme explained it. Thanks for the great review.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

Fabulous review! I loved how you told you were brought right into the book right away. I love it when books do that.
Sunnyd2
Currently Reading:

Post by Sunnyd2 »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 03:52 I have reviewed this book too, and I have to admit, I loved it. Though their love story was a bit fast-paced, but the reincarnation theme explained it. Thanks for the great review.
Thank you! I could see how this book would be loved by a lot of people! The reincarnation story definitely helped explain how it had an impact on their present relationship.
Sunnyd2
Currently Reading:

Post by Sunnyd2 »

Amanda Dobson wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 15:32 Fabulous review! I loved how you told you were brought right into the book right away. I love it when books do that.
Thank you Amanda! Yes, I love getting pulled into a story from the beginning. Appreciate the support. :D
Tawina Banda
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tawina Banda »

I'm a fan of reincarnation stories and movies you name it. I didn't think there would be a black reincarnation story though. I've only read about asain reincarnation n i must admit i loved this book. There comes a time when you feel the story was written for you and you can just relate so you wish there was more to read. Take the journey of Amanda and Tom and explore with them living the life they already did n exploring how much their lives intertwinned in their past lifes.
Tawina Banda
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tawina Banda »

I'm a fan of reincarnation stories and movies you name it. I didn't think there would be a black reincarnation story though. I've only read about asain reincarnation n i must admit i loved this book. There comes a time when you feel the story was written for you and you can just relate so you wish there was more to read. Take the journey of Amanda and Tom and explore with them living the life they already did n exploring how much their lives intertwinned in their past lifes. I'm rating this book 4 out of 4.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

What an intriguing storyline. Meeting and saving each other and going back in time to previous life meeting. Gets my head running ragged. Beautiful review. I love it

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”