Review of Last Dance

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Review of Last Dance

Post by zainherb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Last Dance" by Stephen Manning.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Dance is a nonfiction book written by Stephen Manning about the life he had with his late wife Mary Ann. Mary Ann was the love of his life and the sort of wife his mother had always told him to find. After her passing, Stephen had a hard time dealing with his grief and writing this book served as part of his effort to work through his grief.

Mary Ann had ovarian cysts and had to undergo a surgery shortly before their wedding. This got them doubtful about their ability to have children, but they ended up having four children. Mary Ann dedicated her life to being a supportive wife to Stephen and a loving mother to their children. They moved a lot while raising their family and experienced a lot of celebrations and tragedies together. One of their sons died from an opioid overdose, which affected Mary Ann severely. Shortly after this, Mary Ann became terminally ill before they found out, partly because of a doctor’s neglect. However, she wanted to dance with her son, Ryan, at his wedding. Even though her doctors were skeptical about her living that long, she was determined to make it. Find out if she did.

I loved many things about Last Dance. The author was able to portray his relationship with his wife, Mary Ann, honestly. There were times of ease and difficulty and times of intimacy and disagreements, but they worked through it all together with their love and commitment intact. This honest portrayal of a relationship that had its trials made the story quite realistic. Also, I enjoyed the funny stories and the sense of humour of the author, which shows in the book in many places. My favourite story was when Ray and Uncle Tom were in charge of the bar at the party, but they competed in telling stories and drinking, that the guests ended up serving themselves.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. However, I noticed several grammatical, punctuation, and typographical errors. Also, there was an inconsistency in the usage of tenses in several places. These caused me some difficulty in understanding what I was reading, which detracted from my enjoyment of the book. I believe it could do with another round of editing.

I rate this book three out of four stars, not four stars because I found over ten errors, and not two stars or fewer because of how interesting it is.

Those who enjoy nonfiction books and biographies will be sure to enjoy it. Those who dislike nonfiction may not enjoy it. It is possible that those who have experienced the loss of a loved one or a tragic illness will be triggered by reading it, because of the tragedy, especially towards the end of the book.

Last Dance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:techie-reference:
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I appreciated your detailed and touching review. Thank you for your recommendation!
Hannah Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-fabro.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Hannah Fabro »

I just finished reading this book and I don't know how many handkerchief soaked with my tears. It's sad yet humorous life story. And we can't hide the fact that it's a great book.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 09:57 I appreciated your detailed and touching review. Thank you for your recommendation!
The book was quite touching.
Thank you for reading and commenting.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Hannah Fabro wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 23:11 I just finished reading this book and I don't know how many handkerchief soaked with my tears. It's sad yet humorous life story. And we can't hide the fact that it's a great book.
I know what you mean.
It really is a great book.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I like the realistic nature of this book and I believe readers can find ways to relate to what happens in it. It is good that you mentioned possible triggers for readers, people appreciate that! Good review.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Ldpuff wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 12:03 I like the realistic nature of this book and I believe readers can find ways to relate to what happens in it. It is good that you mentioned possible triggers for readers, people appreciate that! Good review.
I agree. It is very relatable.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This sounds like a very touching tribute to a loved one. It's great when people can share their personal stories to keep the memories alive.

Thank you for your well-written review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 09:47 This sounds like a very touching tribute to a loved one. It's great when people can share their personal stories to keep the memories alive.

Thank you for your well-written review.
:tiphat:
I agree.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

It's good to know that writing this emotional book served as part of the author's effort to work through his grief. Hopefully, the editing issues will be addressed. Thanks for writing a comprehensive review!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Thanks for the honest review. I have read the book too and really loved it. I think the book is a very touching memoir.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

SamaylaM wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 08:29 It's good to know that writing this emotional book served as part of the author's effort to work through his grief. Hopefully, the editing issues will be addressed. Thanks for writing a comprehensive review!
Hopefully it worked.
Thanks for reading and commenting
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Saint Bruno wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 18:00 Thanks for the honest review. I have read the book too and really loved it. I think the book is a very touching memoir.
I am glad you agree.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

What a heart-wrenching story! I'm glad the author found it therapeutic to write It. It sounds like he did a good job. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book is interesting and touchy as well. Thanks do a well-detailed review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”