Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Review of Kalayla

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jeannie Nicholas with Kalayla invites us to learn about the lives of three feminine characters, where the pain of having lost a loved one is the factor that they have in common. Lena, the old lady, lived the worst years of her life in a miserable marriage, which even after being widowed continues to haunt her with memories. Maureen, abandoned by her family for marrying a black man, sees her world fall apart when her husband dies. And finally, Kalayla, Maureen's daughter, a brave girl who walks through life with the streets of her city as her living room.

This book gives us the three points of view, making known their experiences trying to deal with issues like racial discrimination, violence, the negative influence of the family and social pressure; and how even with guilt, pain and shame, you can get ahead. We might think that the contrast between the characters was abrupt, however, the author manages to unify them perfectly.

The star of the book is Kalayla, her chapters were what I loved the most. The lack of censorship with which she expressed herself it drove the other characters crazy, while I, on the other side, laughed out loud. A lot of pain surrounded her, but she acted without a hint of malice and with genuine sincerity, offering the reader warmth and spontaneity. She was by far the most elaborate character, developed in the present and very little through memories, which allowed me to follow her daily routine in greater detail.

The other two main characters, unlike Kalayla, lacked shadows and colors. The author fails to provide us with ground to comprehend them. In the parts of the book where their experiences are narrated, she chooses to summarize these facts in a couple of paragraphs, wasting many opportunities to offer depth to sadly give us a flat reading on many occasions. Some issues, like the story of Lena's children and Maureen's family, are fully unexplored. No supporting characters are notorious in the story, some being practically only names.

I did not find any errors in the writing. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars, exclusively relying on the problems I had with the story of Lena and Maureen to subtract one star. However, I must make it clear that it is a very warm, inspiring reading that causes the reader a smile on more than one occasion. I recommend it to any reader who is looking for a reading that provides that.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I, too, read Kalayla and loved it. I see where you're coming from, though, with wanting to know more about Maureen and Lena's families. Thank you for your review. I enjoyed reading it!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is fantastic that the story is told through the characters of women from three different generations.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I know this book is popular and I'm happy after reading your honest review. I hate reading characters having terrible past or had lost loved ones, but I always picks up books which gives me emotional rollercoaster ride. So definitely I will read this novel too. I'm excited to read about Kalayla's strong character. Thank you for the amazing review.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:

C Janet wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 14:48 I, too, read Kalayla and loved it. I see where you're coming from, though, with wanting to know more about Maureen and Lena's families. Thank you for your review. I enjoyed reading it!
Exactly. Lena's family and Maureen's family were very little explored. Perhaps the author wanted to focus on those characters, but it turned out to be a problem.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:

markodim721 wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 04:26 It is fantastic that the story is told through the characters of women from three different generations.
Yes, it is definitely one of the greatest attractions of the book.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 13:33 I know this book is popular and I'm happy after reading your honest review. I hate reading characters having terrible past or had lost loved ones, but I always picks up books which gives me emotional rollercoaster ride. So definitely I will read this novel too. I'm excited to read about Kalayla's strong character. Thank you for the amazing review.
Yes, the stories with deaths and tragedies all over the place are a bit annoying at times. However, in this book they do not matter; it is a very warm story. I hope you have read it.
Nweze Raalchukwu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nweze-raalchukwu1.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nweze Raalchukwu1 »

This is a wonderfully written review to describe the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”