Review of Demon Freaks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Review of Demon Freaks

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As Twin Brothers, Bing and Ron Slaughter began to prepare for their upcoming SATs test with their friends and band mates Meat Kimitri and Kaitlyn Krimpsen something unusual happens. All planned to study at a remote cabin in the woods. Everything was normal at first but suddenly maniacal storms begins, and a man flailed against the window glass, with blood all over his face.

How they all going to stop strange evil Golfer's Association, strange paranormal activities, a dagger with evil soul in it, a demon, their pathetic history teacher and teethheads monsters? At first, twin brothers only want to pass the SATs test so that they don't have to work at McDonald's like their parents. However, later they just want to survive the demon attacks.

Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R (Jim) Hardison is a book full of horror comedy and battle with bloodthirsty monsters. Although the book is labeled under section C/T/M/H, I would like to say it's more like Young Adult novel. The plot is fast-paced, well written and has many hilarious scenes which made me enjoy this book more. Even though the whole plot takes place in a single night, for me all the four main characters were developed enough to understand the basis of who they are. But the people who like to read deep character's development might get disappointed. I love the book cover strange design as it is eye catching, beautiful and going one hundred percent with the story. For me, the book was quick fun to read. I enjoyed silly humorous conversations between friends more than action scenes.

There were a few things I didn't like about the book. The main character Kaitlyn Krimpsen is little less developed than compare to the other three main characters. The book has many twists and turns, but for me some were fairly predictable. The other thing which bothered me was, the past of psychic dagger which is not much explained. There are few unanswered questions as the book has mini-cliffhangers at the end. Honestly, there should be a sequel of this book for unanswered questions and few plot holes. I noticed a few grammatical and typing errors. Apart from this, I found the book well edited.

Because of all the negative aspects stated above, I am rating this book with 3 out of 4 stars. As I enjoyed the author writing style and for that I'm looking forward for the sequel. Even though there are a few questions left unanswered at the end of the book, I'm quite satisfied with the ending.

Ron Slaughter throughout the entire book used the phrase “Jesus Christ” and I think so some readers may not like it. There were a few doubtful questions about God, if he really exists or not, between twin brothers. So I don't recommend this book to the people who don't like to read any question about God existence. There were blood spillage scenes in the book, so I don't recommend this book to young readers and the people who don't like it. I would like to recommend this book for those who enjoy reading thriller/horror and comedy genre.

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Thanks for the insightful and detailed review. This sounds like an intriguing title to binge on. Good job!
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

With a surname like Slaughter the author sure left little to the imagination. Thanks for highlighting the aspects of blasphemy within the story. Not my kind of novel, but a great review nonetheless. :tiphat:
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

Saint Bruno wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 03:38 Thanks for the insightful and detailed review. This sounds like an intriguing title to binge on. Good job!
Yes it is, and the plot itself is interesting and full of thriller. Thank you for stopping by, your comment mean a lot!!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

Eloque3locks wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 08:23 With a surname like Slaughter the author sure left little to the imagination. Thanks for highlighting the aspects of blasphemy within the story. Not my kind of novel, but a great review nonetheless. :tiphat:
Yes, you are right and author did the best job when it comes to humor. Thank you for your kind words and support, your comment means a lot!!
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I have a better idea of the book after reading this. Thank you for the informative review :D
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

I read Fish Wielder by the same author and I honestly still cannot get over how good it was. Thanks for the review. I wanted to read this one, his earlier work, but now I am not so sure I want to spoil the magic, since you mention some lack with the development of the characters and the plot, that I know would annoy me, having set the standard high with the Fish Wielder. If you haven't read it, I really highly recommend it since you say you like the style. It is interesting to see though how much the author has improved, just based on the reviews.
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:01
Eloque3locks wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 08:23 With a surname like Slaughter the author sure left little to the imagination. Thanks for highlighting the aspects of blasphemy within the story. Not my kind of novel, but a great review nonetheless. :tiphat:
Yes, you are right and author did the best job when it comes to humor. Thank you for your kind words and support, your comment means a lot!!
You are very welcome. In the words of a great person ( I forget which 😂😂), 'you scratch my back, I scratch your's'. :tiphat:
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Luxmi Mukherjee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Luxmi Mukherjee »

Thankyou for such a thorough review❤️ love your writing style. Great and inspiring work❤️
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

Arite Seki wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 22:15 I have a better idea of the book after reading this. Thank you for the informative review :D
Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by Arite, keep supporting!! :D
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

DTamara wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 05:33 I read Fish Wielder by the same author and I honestly still cannot get over how good it was. Thanks for the review. I wanted to read this one, his earlier work, but now I am not so sure I want to spoil the magic, since you mention some lack with the development of the characters and the plot, that I know would annoy me, having set the standard high with the Fish Wielder. If you haven't read it, I really highly recommend it since you say you like the style. It is interesting to see though how much the author has improved, just based on the reviews.
It's great that you already knew about author's magical writing skills. It's ok, take your time to pick this book. Actually, the whole plot took place at one single night, so author just didn't had a choice to develop characters more. But according to me all characters were well developed and their different emotions are shown throughout the book amazingly. If you are recommending me Fish Wielder, than sure I'm going to pick it up soon dear. Thank you so much for your kind words and for stopping by DTamara, keep supporting!! :D
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

Eloque3locks wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 05:51
Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:01
You are very welcome. In the words of a great person ( I forget which 😂😂), 'you scratch my back, I scratch your's'. :tiphat:
Again, I entirely agree with you!! Unfortunately, I too don't know that person name.😂😂
Thank you for visiting again, keep supporting!!:D
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

Luxmi Mukherjee wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 06:01 Thankyou for such a thorough review❤️ love your writing style. Great and inspiring work❤️
Thank you so much for encouraging me with your kind words Luxmi!! And thanks again for stopping by, keep supporting!! :D ❤️
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

The cover page of the book is really interesting. Being someone who strongly believes in God, the blasphemy aspect of the book might not suit me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts in such detailed manner. Great Review!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:

Pooja Bhardwaj wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 22:23 The cover page of the book is really interesting. Being someone who strongly believes in God, the blasphemy aspect of the book might not suit me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts in such detailed manner. Great Review!

The best thing about cover design it is going one hundred percent with the plot and book have all the elements shown in the cover. I too strongly believes in God but that questions didn't disturb my reading, as they were just having a conversation about God, but I wrote it on my review because it's my responsibility to write all the important aspects in just few words for all the readers. Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by Pooja, keep supporting!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”