Review of Shadow's Adventure Home

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Review of Shadow's Adventure Home

Post by Ldpuff »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shadow's Adventure Home" by Kathy Kovar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Does a lost pet ever return home? What does a lost pet do while it is lost? Does the pet think about its owners? Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar answers these questions and more. The family pet, Shadow, escaped one day after just having recently moved into a new house. Shadow was nervous at first after moving because everything was new and slightly scary. Eventually, Shadow came out from under the furniture to explore his new home. Whilst Shadow was exploring, the family happened to leave the front door open after leaving the house. Shadow, being a typical cat, saw a bird and went on a high-speed chase! It was only after this exhilarating adventure that Shadow realized he was lost. He searched high and low to find his way back home, but to no avail. Lost, hungry, and scared, Shadow attempted to befriend a stranger. Just as he thought his luck was changing, bad luck struck once again. This new owner was allergic to cats! Shadow found himself being placed in an animal shelter surrounded by strange humans and other animals. One day, he saw something while looking out of the window of the animal shelter that gave him a glimmer of hope! Read Shadow’s Adventure Home to find out what he saw and how the book ended.

I enjoyed every aspect of this book. The illustrations were beautifully done and they paired nicely with the story. Each picture matched what I was imagining while reading the story. I also enjoyed how relatable this book was. Losing a pet is never an easy experience. The pet owners are often in agony for hours or even days thinking about what on earth their pet could be doing. It is an awful thing to worry about an animal and to have absolutely no idea if the animal is alright or if something happened to them. Kovar depicts the opposite side of this story in her book. She describes what the lost pet might be thinking and doing.

I did not have a least favorite part of this book. I found it to be exceptionally well edited and include no errors. The story is appropriate for the intended audience of young children. The vocabulary is simplistic and the illustrations are detailed, both of which are quintessential in a children’s book.

I rate Shadow’s Adventure Home four out of four stars. This book absolutely deserves a perfect rating for the reasons that I have listed above and more. It is clear that the author had a very personal connection with the story. The love and attachment that the author felt for this pet are quite evident throughout the story.

I would recommend this book to any family who has a pet, or to any family who has lost a pet. Both of which are people who could easily connect with this story and enjoy it while reading it. I would not recommend this book to anyone who does not like pets or to anyone who feels as though they might be triggered by a story about animals that includes sad elements. As I said previously, losing a pet is no easy thing. Sometimes, it can take a person a long time to be ready to discuss what happened, or to be exposed to something that might bring back the memories.

Shadow's Adventure Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

This book seems to carry a good message with the love and attachment that the author felt for this pet. Thanks for writing a very thorough review of this book!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a great book for children to help them understand how to deal with pets, including the loss of a pet, and pet lovers in general. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

An honest review about a wonderful story, not my kettle of tea but a brilliant review nonetheless. Keep up the good work.
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it's great that the book offers new topics for children, while conveying important life lessons. Everything is of course complemented by appropriate illustrations. Thanks for the good review.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I love animals even though I don't have any pet so I try to love all animals equally. I would love to read this book, wants to know what happens to Shadow. Thank you for the amazing review!!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The story of a pet after missing its home looks quite heart touching to me. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 13:16 I love animals even though I don't have any pet so I try to love all animals equally. I would love to read this book, wants to know what happens to Shadow. Thank you for the amazing review!!
I love animals also! it is a cute book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”