Review of Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Review of Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening

Post by Jagiine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening" by JD Schmith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I can remember sitting on my grandmother’s back porch during thunderstorms as a preteen and young adult. I loved the smell of the country air, the sound of the wind in the chimes, and the poetically choreographed dance of the swaying trees. Even as a young child, the sounds of pounding rain meant to me that I’d soon smell petrichor, which mixed perfectly with the fragrance of pine. However, not all children are comforted by storms. In fact, my own sister was similar to little William, who readers of Thunder and Lightning: They're not so Frightening know was very afraid of a deluge that came through his town.

At the beginning of the book, William was excited to watch the neighborhood transition into the calmness of night as he settled into bed, but that serenity was interrupted by dark clouds, ominous flashes, and booming thunder. Hearing his son cry out in terror, William’s loving dad went to help his son weather the storm.

Daddy’s approach to comforting William was twofold: being a patient, peaceful presence when calmness seemed to have disappeared and providing information. Just being there with William was important for helping the child feel secure and reminding him that he was safe. Though the walls and roof were the main sources of protection for everyone in the house, William needed mental and emotional security in order to recognize and appreciate his family's physical safety. Once he felt more comfortable, William asked Daddy a question in order to feel better. If the response had been spouted at a trembling child who was still hiding from the thunder, it likely would have had no positive effect, so it’s good that William’s father let the boy lead the conversation.

At the same time, I felt that the explanation got a bit dense; it wasn’t bad, but it could have been further simplified and spread across more pages. Whereas William's actions were detailed at a rate of about one sentence per page, Daddy defined thunder and lightning in a five-sentence paragraph on a single page. Outside of that instance, I found the writing to be very descriptive without getting too advanced or boring for the target age group. Also, the way the storm rolled in and William reacted followed a realistic progression. Beyond the text, I thoroughly enjoyed the illustrations. I believe the art qualified as photorealism; the images of William appeared the most real and the environment reminded me of painted landscapes. Overall, it was quite suitable for a bedtime story.

Considering the great parenting and visually appealing art evident in the storybook, I was quite impressed by JD Schmith's premier title. However, I could not fully shake the bad taste the dense science lesson left in my mouth. On top of that, I found three editorial slip-ups, all of which pertained to punctuation marks. Between these two issues, I found it necessary to remove one star and give Thunder and Lightning three out of four stars.

I am happy to recommend Thunder and Lightning to families with children who are scared by storms or other loud noises. Children interested in science or alternative styles of art may also find this publication intriguing. However, all of the errors can be fixed with a pen because they are all additions of or alterations to a punctuation mark, so if you get a hard copy, I recommend fixing the issues with a felt-tip pen before enjoying the story with a child (or letting them explore it alone).

Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I also loved the storm and its energy, I enjoyed very much for your review, it made me wish for a little rain :). Thank you!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

There are a lot of children (and even adults) that are frightened of storms. It sounds like this would be a good book for them to read. Thanks for your excellent review!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 14:24 I also loved the storm and its energy, I enjoyed very much for your review, it made me wish for a little rain :). Thank you!
A little rain would be nice right now! I hope you get some soon. Thanks for coming by :techie-reference:
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Prisallen wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 07:43 There are a lot of children (and even adults) that are frightened of storms. It sounds like this would be a good book for them to read. Thanks for your excellent review!
That's true; this book is targeted at children, but there are adults who could similarly benefit from it. Thanks for adding that insight :tiphat:
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it's great that there is a book that deals with this problem because I believe that the fear of thunder and lightning can be transferred to adulthood if not overcome in childhood. Thank you for the awesome review.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

I know some people (both young and adult) who have a fear of thunder and storm (and lightning too). I think this book will be a good read for them.
Thanks for this thorough and amazing review :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

William's father's patience is very commendable. Glad to see that he was calmer after that interaction. Unfortunate that the science stretches outside the range of the target audience a bit but the book sounds like a lovey read. Thanks for this review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks such detailed review. Adult also could be frightened by thunder as well. I can also relate to the boy, because someone's presence has a way of calming the nerve when one is afraid.
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

markodim721 wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 12:22 I think it's great that there is a book that deals with this problem because I believe that the fear of thunder and lightning can be transferred to adulthood if not overcome in childhood. Thank you for the awesome review.
You're so right, and there's a lot less empowerment to address those fears as an adult in this society, so we should definitely work on getting it right the first time. Thanks for stopping by!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 15:58 I know some people (both young and adult) who have a fear of thunder and storm (and lightning too). I think this book will be a good read for them.
Thanks for this thorough and amazing review :tiphat:
I hope this helps the people you're thinking of. I'm sure the author would be proud that the book is helping more people than just William. Thank you for your encouraging words!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Mwatu wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 09:29 William's father's patience is very commendable. Glad to see that he was calmer after that interaction. Unfortunate that the science stretches outside the range of the target audience a bit but the book sounds like a lovey read. Thanks for this review!
Yes, I think the father set a good example for parents. While a lot of kids may find the scientific explanation dry, who knows: some future scientists may be born out of reading this. Thanks for joining the discussion!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:19 Thanks such detailed review. Adult also could be frightened by thunder as well. I can also relate to the boy, because someone's presence has a way of calming the nerve when one is afraid.
That's a good point that I definitely overlooked when writing the review. I hope many adults find comfort in this story as well! Thank you for chiming in.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Wow! You are such a gifted writer! You would be a fantastic poet!
😊

I love how you described the moments when you enjoyed watching thunderstorms at your grandmother's house.

This story would be nice for children who are afraid of thunder and lightning - I believe it is a common fear to have. It should calm them down and answer some of their curious questions. You made a good suggestion about fixing the punctuation errors with a pen.

Thank you for your excellent review. I look forward to seeing more from you.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 05:30 Wow! You are such a gifted writer! You would be a fantastic poet!
😊

I love how you described the moments when you enjoyed watching thunderstorms at your grandmother's house.

This story would be nice for children who are afraid of thunder and lightning - I believe it is a common fear to have. It should calm them down and answer some of their curious questions. You made a good suggestion about fixing the punctuation errors with a pen.

Thank you for your excellent review. I look forward to seeing more from you.
:tiphat:
Thank you so much, you're very sweet! I did dabble in poetry and songwriting when I was growing up, but now I don't really write much aside from these reviews, so you've brightened my day. :happy-smileyflower:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”