Review of Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Review of Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates

Post by Menace Crypto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates" by Chris Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our love for several activities most times was borne from constant exposure to such activities during a young age. That's why I love children books, it teaches our young ones reading comprehension and it also impacts several positive knowledge. Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates by Chris Williams is one of such books. It is the second book in an adventure series.

It's the second week of Evan's vacation in Wales. While looking forward to swimming on a beach, Evan, his dad, mum, and best friends, Violet and Grayson, talk about pirates. They have fun telling stories about it and the children also learn new terms relating to pirates. They think it's cool and contemplate becoming pirates one day. Evan also contemplates doing it on a part-time basis. Eventually, they go swimming and are carried to an unknown island in the West Indies by the waves. There, they encounter the Dirty Dog, a pirate ship captained by Captain Burgess. They also meet other pirates like Frank and Bob. Are these pirates as humorous as they fantasized about or dangerous like some stories they've heard of? Grab a copy of this book to find out.

This book was just absolutely lovely. The storyline was very thrilling, and it contained several positive themes which include friendship, dialogue, love, etc. The characters in the book were nicely developed. The book was also written in simple vocabulary to enable easy understanding for children. I love how the book was able to educate the reader on some terms. For example, Evan's dad explained to the children the origin and meaning of the word, parley while telling pirate stories. I think parents can learn a thing or two from that. A scene I loved in the book was when the children used what they learned from their dad to settle the dispute between the Dirty Dog and Black Bird.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this book. The length was perfect and not too voluminous for children. It also had excellent structuring and well-developed scenes. The illustrations used in the book were also funny and perfect. They made the storyline more compelling. The glossary included towards the end of the book was also helpful. A child can easily check it to find out the meaning of any word he/she doesn't understand.

The book was professionally edited. I only came across two errors that didn't affect my reading comprehension. The author's writing style is engaging and unique. There are also pictures included at the end of the book for children to colour. I'm rating Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to children within the age interval of 5-12.

Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates
View: on Bookshelves
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

One of the things I love about children's book is that it's usually colorful thereby making it inviting. This book about pirates promises to be worth the read. Thanks for inviting me to the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”