Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Review of Kalayla

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla is a sass-mouthed, insolent, and frequently impolite kid. Her demeanour is more akin to that of an elderly person who doesn't seem to give much thought to many things. She is bi-racial, and due to bigotry, she didn't have the chance to meet her grandparents. Her white mother, Maureen, fell in love with a black Irish guy named Jamal, who happened to be her father, which is against the norm. Maureen's parents warned her, but she didn't listen. Instead, she did everything she could to keep their relationship going. In which, as a result, she has to deal with the most painful rejection she has ever experienced from her parents, forcing her to lie and keep it a secret from her daughter for a long time, telling her that they were already dead when, in reality, she is merely scared of what might happen. Excruciatingly, Jamal died and she needed to continue her life as a single mother to care for her daughter Kalayla amidst her constant emotional dilemma. They both lived in an apartment and met the tenant, Lena Barzetti, a 72-year-old entrepreneur who loves to dress in black. She lost her twin sons and husband in an accident and continuously searched for their two living separated sons, JJ and Mark, from nowhere. She had a similar loss to Maureen, which made them linked together. Will Maureen just keep her secret from her daughter indefinitely as the story progresses? Will Lena be able to reunite with her two sons, who have been missing for a long time? Will Kalayla be able to put up with his obnoxious behaviour? You can simply read it in the book to figure out what will happen next.

Kalayla is indeed a book of hope, love, acceptance, and forgiveness. The novel has a lot of noteworthy points to grasp. I enjoyed how it included unexpected twists and flavors. Hope has been tacitly laid forth to demonstrate that, despite the dreadful circumstances, there is a glimmer of oncoming sunshine, that, at the end of the day, forgiveness always prevails and love always matters. Ms. Jeannie Nicholas knows exactly what words to use to make it enticing to read and retain. While reading, the different points of view of the main characters and the cast made me feel their feelings and emotions.

There was some sexual harassment, racism and profanities included in the novel. I don't like how the story's Kalayla character is depicted; she’s always rude and disrespectful, especially to her elderly, which could romanticize young readers. But, I have eyed character development. The format of the dissertation is ambiguous and is not properly ended. It's almost as if there's a sequel to this novel because I wasn't satisfied with the way it finished.

On a larger scale, I noticed a number of grammatical issues that I presume the author neglected to address. Overall, I gave it a 3 out of 4 star rating.

The novel, on the other hand, has a lot of potential; it's a book that anyone who wants to be motivated and encouraged by the story might enjoy. It is appropriate for adults but not for young readers due to profanities. However, it is a highly recommended book, and I feel that the only way to obtain perfection in expertise, especially the errors I have spotted, is by diligence and frequent careful checking before publishing.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I loved reading your review and it made me discover new aspects regarding the book. I also appreciated the silver linings. Great job!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This isn't the kind of book I generally read but I keep finding positive reviews of it that make me curious. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the plot in which the protagonists are ladies from three different generations. Thanks for the objective review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

IamJc_Bembo12 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 20:29 at the end of the day, forgiveness always prevails and love always matters
A perfect summation of the book—and life, for that matter! Thank you for your take on this read.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Well-written review! It is a shame you weren't satisfied with the ending, but I wonder if you would pick up a sequel if that were to happen.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Insight into the life ladies from different generation make the book interesting to read. Thanks for your honest and insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The plotline sounds engaging. I can only imagine what it was like for Kalayla, her family and their neighbour. Thank you for a lovely review!
Lilyhale90
Currently Reading: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyhale90.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Lilyhale90 »

I normally prefer gentle characters over disrespectful ones but the story line sounds charming. I love how you wrote the review it's tempting me to read haha.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”