Review of Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Review of Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life

Post by Reader-247 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life" by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is said that love conquers all, it is something that occurs naturally to us and it is intrinsic human behavior. Everyone wants to love and wants to be loved but if love is the answer to all of our problems then why do we have heartaches and heartbreaks in our love relationships? Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D. gives thought-provoking insight to what one might be doing wrong in a love relationship and how it can be improved to have a satisfying love life.

It is a short self-help book that takes the reader step by step by first identifying what love life is. How everyone has a psychological love life that is formed usually by unconscious learning; by observing the love relationship around us. It further explains the negative or unhealthy aspects that influence the love life and defines the corresponding healthy opposites. It also deals with the aftereffects of the unhealthy aspects which hinder one’s ability to give and receive love.

It consists of writable pages which helps the reader to work out their own psychological love life thereby identifying the problem and working towards a solution. The narrative is conversational, so it feels like having a one-on-one discussion which, in my opinion, eases the mind of the reader. I liked that the author gives ample examples when describing the negative aspects and when suggesting amends which helps a broad audience to relate with the text. The author goes a step further and gives us full details of his psychological love life, the problems he faced. He gives a preamble of what childhood and/or adolescent relationships shaped his love life and its effects. This dedication of his to help others, to be so courageous to open such secret and vulnerable aspects of his life just so others benefit from it and are able to make the transition from an unhealthy love life to a healthy one, is my favourite part of the book and I strongly admire this characteristic. There is also a glossary at the end which guides to any specific part of the book which I think is a necessary addition and I appreciate it a lot.

It does, however, in some initial parts get very repetitive. I am unable to conclude if it was intentional or otherwise, it does break the flow and I have to bring myself to continue reading it. The same is done by lengthy sentences which I had to reread multiple times to fully understand and for a self-help book may be an obstruction in the achievement of the objective.

Since the above mentioned reasons took away from the likeability of the book, I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it lower because it does cover very important yet highly ignored mental issues regarding love relationships and even when I was not looking for an answer, provided me guidance to improve myself as a person thus improving how I behave in love relationships. It contains a few punctuation errors so it was very well edited as well.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their love relationships and is a bit hesitant to visit a counselor and anyone who is intrigued by the mechanics of love.

Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book seems nice. Conversational books do tend to impact the readers more than bland fact-stating ones. True, repetitiveness does break the reader's flow and makes the book unappealing. Thanks for the great review.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

This seems like a very helpful book. I think its a good book to read for persons who are shy to share their love life problems with other persons. After reading your review, I feel obliged to give this book a read. Thanks for the review
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I read and reviewed this book and absolutely loved it. Contained a lot of great insights
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

As you mentioned, love seems to be an incredibly important part in our lives, but there really is no guide to learn how to navigate it, so I appreciate that the author is trying to educate people on such a complicated subject. Thank you for the recommendation!
Reader-247
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader-247 »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 15:24 This book seems nice. Conversational books do tend to impact the readers more than bland fact-stating ones. True, repetitiveness does break the reader's flow and makes the book unappealing. Thanks for the great review.
Thanks for stopping by :)
Reader-247
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader-247 »

Shakiera Reece wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 23:34 This seems like a very helpful book. I think its a good book to read for persons who are shy to share their love life problems with other persons. After reading your review, I feel obliged to give this book a read. Thanks for the review
It is quite helpful! I hope you enjoy the book. Thanks for stopping by :)
Reader-247
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader-247 »

Unsullied wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 06:42 I read and reviewed this book and absolutely loved it. Contained a lot of great insights
It does, doesn’t it! Thanks for the comment🙂
Reader-247
Currently Reading:

Post by Reader-247 »

Ashley-Osuna wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 09:31 As you mentioned, love seems to be an incredibly important part in our lives, but there really is no guide to learn how to navigate it, so I appreciate that the author is trying to educate people on such a complicated subject. Thank you for the recommendation!
The even have blogs and webinars! Really good stuff. Hope you check it out. Thanks for stopping by 🙂
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

This book seems like the perfect book for those wanting to improve their love connections. I tend to hesitate when wanting to visit a counsellor. It's great that there are books like this that help people out. Thank you for the lovely review!
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Great Review! I enjoyed your use of vocabulary, it always gave the review a flow that is not easy to replicate.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

It's not easy to deal with things when one's relationship fails. So it's nice to find a book that attempts to help the reader maintain their relationships. Thanks for the amazing review and recommendation.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

I feel like everyone should be in control of their love life. I appreciate this self-help book as it guides people on how to achieve healthy love relationships.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

As human, we all love and have emotion. Hence, a self-help book on healing disappointing love affairs for me I think is invaluable. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Love is complicated. Seems like a book that will educate readers on love. Thanks for the insightful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”