Review of How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Review of How To Be Successful

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How to Be Successful: Think Like A Leader by M. Curtis McCoy is a persuasive, self-improvement guide that includes a blend of genuine stories and discussions. It centers around life lessons applying to business, prioritization, relationship, leadership, productivity, building confidence, and more. McCoy provides tips and testaments aiming to help readers achieve personal and financial growth, achieve their goals, and the success they are aiming for.

McCoy is an entrepreneur and a public speaker. He draws from an abundance of personal experience. He has survived cancer and has type 1 diabetes. Both his professional and health hurdles have influenced his book and it makes his advice invaluable. He was diagnosed with malignant glioblastoma and that sent him to Mexico to seek treatment. McCoy shares personal stories and pitfalls genuinely.

The road to improvement begins with making a firm decision and seeking ways to achieve your goals and pursue them actively. We should make deliberate efforts to surround ourselves with positive influences and good people, to aim for progress, and set ourselves for success. The book details how one should be able to set aside short-term comfort and put in the work, however difficult it may be.

In his book, McCoy gets in contact with mentors and business experts. He gives them a 15-line questionnaire to receive their personal viewpoints and experiences. From a US Navy SEAL sharpshooter to a pastor with a record, there is a range of answers and life experiences. They do all concur that the absolute most valuable characteristics to have are humility, diligence, responsibility, perseverance, mental fortitude, self-discipline, and a creative mind. Additionally, it's crucial to be able to learn from your own mistakes and take disappointment as a lesson and a stepping stone for future success.

I appreciated this book because it was genuine and extensive. It was sprinkled with somber life realizations and motivational bits. However, something I do not personally enjoy is the statement that atheists and other religions can succeed but only Christians can be strongly successful long-term. I do not like generalizing people and reading statements that come across as narrow-minded and openly offensive.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because it is well-written and does offer value. However, basing someone's existence and ability to live well on religious faith comes across as narrow-minded and ignorant. I do not take any personal offense but I dislike seeing such statements as I believe people are equal no matter what their faith is or if they have any religious faith at all.

If you can overlook those kinds of remarks, by all means, pick this read. If reading about generalizing people this way leaves a bad taste in your mouth than I suggest you skip this and find something better to read.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it is great that the author speaks primarily from his own experience and that he showed by his example that everything can be achieved, with a little determination and good will.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The author has an interesting background, but I don't like to read biased opinions. Thank you for your honest review!
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by addicted reader »

How to Be Successful: Think Like A Leader by M. Curtis McCoy sounds like a well-crafted guide book on how to achieve entrepreneurial goals. From this insightful review, the book is suitable for aspiring entrepreneurs and business people. Thanks for the review.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I like that the author has included pieces of advice from people he knows personally, it makes the book feel more valid somehow (for me atleast). But I was unhappy to see that the author spoke of success and religion together.
I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you!
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book is an eye-opener. The interviewees' experiences tell the reader that success doesn't come easy and that everyone's definition of success is different. Thanks for the great review.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I also read this book and one of the things I liked the most is the easily comprehensible tone the author used. Great review!
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I’ve read this book and would read it again because the lessons from this book are very crucial. I love the real life testimonies and interviews the author used.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I have reviewed this book and I gave it 4 stars. It's saddening to see that you had to deduct one star. Anyways, to every person their own review is valuable, and I respect that. Thanks for the honest review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”