Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles. This is an amazing non-fiction book that is giving steps on how to write a great fictional story. William H. Coles is a successful writer who has written many books this being one of them. Do you want to improve your fictional stories writing skills?

The book has been divided into two parts, "Book One" and "Book Two". Book One- The Literary Story in fiction. Under the first part, we have twelve chapters. The first part talks about how one can write literary fiction stories. The key constituents to consider are imagination, structure and theme, characterization, and dramatic plot. The book also discusses how to develop character, narration, dialogue, humour, time and many more. In the chapter that talks about second-person narration, the author says that there is a barrier set between the writer and the reader. He believes second-person narration takes away the control the narrator has over the story.

Book Two - Creating a Literary Fictional Story. It has five chapters. It focuses on how to create a story from the foundation to the final revision. This is a great tool to empower both successful authors and beginners to write extremely amazing books. I concur with the author that some writings are better than others. Therefore, one has to work extremely smart and put in the effort to achieve great writing skills. I also believe that writing should be taken as a serious profession. A lot of people write for money and passion without being necessarily skilled.

What I liked most about the book is that the book is well organised. The author has arranged his work to make it easy for readers to follow. I also love the fact that most of the topics are well defined making them easy to understand. The writer is very passionate about fiction story writing.

I disliked some of the parts of the book since the author was a bit shallow. He did not go into details on how and why a writer should do certain things. I still enjoyed reading despite that. I did not find any obvious errors as the book is well edited. I rate the book a 4 out of 4 stars since it is a great read. I recommend this book to anyone aspiring to become a good writer, especially those into fictional stories. It is also a great read for those who already writing books. This is a great guide on where and how to improve your writing.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I like that the author has delved into what it takes to improve your fictional story writing skills. It's great to know that it's easy to follow. Though I don't think this is my type of book. Still, thanks for the great review.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

It seems that the book is well-organised and presented. This book will be a great help to those who want to improve their writing, but it's not my type of book. Thanks for the brilliant review.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

This looks like a truly great book for people who are aspiring fictional novels writers or for those who want to improve their skills. Well done on the beautifully written review.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I bet reading this book is like being in a student and your teacher is Mr. Coles. Reading this book will give us more useful informations that we can use in our reviews. Your review is great!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I've read other books by this author, and he's quite good with short fiction. I am glad to see he wrote a book to help others improve. Thanks for the review!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I have read one book by this author, and I did not enjoy it. So I will pass on reading this one. You wrote a beautiful review, even though I am a writer myself, and I think I would have benefit from it.
BOOKNERD254
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booknerd254.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Post by BOOKNERD254 »

A nice self-help book for sure. I love writing so I may give it a try. Wonderful review!
Kendall Corder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendall-corder.html
Latest Review: The Story Of... by Shirley B Novack

Post by Kendall Corder »

I recently read one of Coles' novels and am interested in reading others. I didn't know he also wrote a guide for fiction writers! I will be interested in reading this book after reading your perspective. Thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”