Review of The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Review of The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter

Post by Clare Jose »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It has been five years since Noel Night was appointed as the head of the new History and Preservation Department, nearly the same amount of time for which Santa Nicholas has been running the North Pole complex. Noel is, as the head of a newly made department, trying to establish its place and importance. However, this has proven to be a difficult feat, since Noel has neither a completed office nor any space to meet his department’s needs. So, when Noel gets wind of a lost library that was locked up for unknown reasons, he is determined to find it.

The last few years at the North Pole has borne witness to several changes, both big and small. Starting with the new policy regarding elf memories to the inclusion of surfing in the annual Reindeer Games, Santa Nicholas has been shaking things up at the North Pole. Now, it seems that Santa has yet another surprise set in store for the elves. But among the elves, are individuals with their own motives and hidden agendas, who are less than pleased about the new changes and a certain meddlesome elf.

The Elf Archive: Book Two of the Magi Charter written by Jordan David is the second book in its series. The story picks up nearly five years after the conclusion of the first book and the re-introduction to the story felt easy and effortless. The author has maintained the same cast of characters from the first book, with the addition of a few new characters. Anna was one such character, and hers was one I enjoyed greatly because of her attitude towards Noel. Just like the first book, one of the things I really enjoyed was the world-building. With this book, the author has built upon the foundation he created in the previous book by providing new information and more details. The author has also maintained a level of mystery around the North Pole, so that by the end of the book I’m left with more questions than answers.

Even though I enjoyed the book as a whole, the book was a bit too slow-paced for my liking. Some things were predictable, and Noel was being oblivious to some very obvious things. This particular character trait of his, both endeared and annoyed me. My only major misgiving about the book was the errors I found. This kept breaking up my reading, and I feel that the book could have made use of another round of editing. But as a reader, I am curious to know what happens next and would be reading the rest of the books.

All in all, I would rate the book a 3 out of 4 stars. It was a light, fun read. I would recommend this book to readers of fantasy. I found no instance of profanity and feel that the book is appropriate for younger readers. Even though the book could be read as a standalone, I believe it would be better to have read the first book before starting on this one. I would also like to mention that this book ends on a minor cliff-hanger.

The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I love fantasies but I hate cliff- hangers. This book seems interesting, but to read it I should read it's first part. Thank you for the great review.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book sounds delightful! Santa has introduced several small as well as big changes. It doesn't seem to sit well with a few elves. I would love to know how the story progresses. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Clare Jose

Post by Clare Jose »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 00:07 I love fantasies but I hate cliff- hangers. This book seems interesting, but to read it I should read it's first part. Thank you for the great review.
The cliff-hanger is not really bothersome. The book's story arc was complete. The cliff-hanger just made me excited about the next book in the series. :D

Yes, it would probably be best if you read the first book before you read this one.
Thanks for stopping by.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Clare Jose

Post by Clare Jose »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 11:01 This book sounds delightful! Santa has introduced several small as well as big changes. It doesn't seem to sit well with a few elves. I would love to know how the story progresses. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Oh, I too am curious to know where the series is headed. I'm glad you enjoyed my review.
Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Clare Jose

Post by Clare Jose »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 11:01 This book sounds delightful! Santa has introduced several small as well as big changes. It doesn't seem to sit well with a few elves. I would love to know how the story progresses. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Oh, I too am curious to know where the series is headed. I'm glad you enjoyed my review.
Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Now this book sounds fun to read. I love the mystery of it. I think I will definitely enjoy reading it. Thank you.
Clare Jose

Post by Clare Jose »

Mtibza eM wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 03:20 Now this book sounds fun to read. I love the mystery of it. I think I will definitely enjoy reading it. Thank you.
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It seems like a pretty decent book, but I don't like its slow-pace and predictability. Great and honest review, I appreciate it.
Clare Jose

Post by Clare Jose »

markodim721 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 15:15 It seems like a pretty decent book, but I don't like its slow-pace and predictability. Great and honest review, I appreciate it.
Thank you. Glad you stopped by.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I'm always reluctant to pick up books that are slow-paced. And the fact Noel was oblivious to the things right in front of him, is a character trait I've found in a few previously read books and it always annoys me. So I think I'll skip this one, but I liked your detailed review. Thank you.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I'm excited to know more about Noel's journey. I bet that I'll be on the edge of my seat while reading tjis book. Thanks for a great review.
Clare Jose

Post by Clare Jose »

Michelle Menezes wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 00:18 I'm always reluctant to pick up books that are slow-paced. And the fact Noel was oblivious to the things right in front of him, is a character trait I've found in a few previously read books and it always annoys me. So I think I'll skip this one, but I liked your detailed review. Thank you.
Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by.
Clare Jose

Post by Clare Jose »

Unosthetic wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 01:50 I'm excited to know more about Noel's journey. I bet that I'll be on the edge of my seat while reading tjis book. Thanks for a great review.
Thank you.
I hope you both read and enjoy the book. :techie-studyinggray:
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

What a peculiar subject! I think I will go for the first book of the series. Thank you :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”