Review of Portals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Afreen Rahim
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afreen-rahim.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Portals

Post by Afreen Rahim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Portals" by Jon Zimmer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A sci-fi book that makes the readers travel through the thoughts of Joe Huntley, a 22 year-old Physics student, about making the world a better place. Joe is an amazing character that includes all the good traits a main lead should have. He is a football player, and has a strong compassion towards education and is empathetic towards the current problems around the world. He dreams of a world with free education to all and the world free from climate change.

Portals portray Joe having to make decisions of choosing among many portals every time he encounters death. He kept choosing education, because he believes in the strength of education. Author Jon Zimmer made the story more catching by introducing the relationship between Joe and Mary. Thus making the readers also curious about their life.

The author talks about the problems present in the current world, and what is going to happen, if they aren't solved. This book is actually needed in the current world. One of my favourite things about the book is that the author is blurting out the things that should be heard by the world.

Despite the ideas and the relevance of the problems included, the narration and the flow of the novel isn't neat. The writing style can be improved in a lot of aspects. The character development wasn't present, thus doesn't make us more empathetic towards Joe and his thought towards everything. I found a lot of errors, thus proving that this is not well written or well edited.

Portals is a book with a lot of potential, just need a little shaping. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I believe in the ideas and concept of the novel. I dedicate this book to someone who is ready to change the world, or to those who should know what is there to change.

Portals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

I really like your straight forward way of writing. Thanks for an amazing review! :)
Afreen Rahim
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afreen-rahim.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Afreen Rahim »

Reader-247 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 14:26 I really like your straight forward way of writing. Thanks for an amazing review! :)
Thankyou 🤗

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”