Review of Fish Wielder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Review of Fish Wielder

Post by marta baglioni »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fish Wielder" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many in the land of Grome have heard of the blond barbarian, Thoral Mighty Fist, but, despite his peculiar accent, no one knows where he is from, not even his devoted friend, the walking fish Bradfast. Together they embark on an epic adventure after the other, thus earning their living.

After defeating the evil sorcerer Necrogrond, Thoral finds Nalweegie, the beautiful princess of the Elves, imprisoned in the fortress. She falls deeply in love with her savior and leads Thoral and Brad to her realm, where King Elfrond asks the barbarian to help him vanquish the mysterious force that’s been killing his people.

Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison is a surprisingly enjoyable epic fantasy novel. I was completely hooked after just a few lines and it kept getting better with every page. The humorous mood of the narrative reminds of authors like Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett: it is absolutely hilarious to read and keeps you engaged till the end. On multiple occasions, I had to stop reading and have a good laugh out loud.

There are various Easter eggs referencing pillars of fantasy fiction (e.g., The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, or The Wizard of Oz). The lovers of the genre will certainly appreciate it. The worldbuilding is very good and some features, despite the book being mostly parodic, are quite original. I love the diversity that you can see in the creatures inhabiting Grome: elves, gnomes, talking animals, sorcerers, and completely made-up monsters. Plus, there is a map included in the first pages that was really helpful to track the characters’ travels.

You could divide the story into a series of adventures, but there is a consistent subplot that keeps everything together. The pace is fast and gripping, and action scenes are amazingly described.

Our protagonist, Thoral, is one of the few humans that we come across. His character is very credible and likable. He rarely is completely sober, but we get to know what hides in his past and, hence, to understand his behavior. I was pleased to see that there were also more hushed and serious tones in this book: certainly, it made the reading experience more complete.

I highly recommend this book to readers interested in the fantasy genre, both teenagers and adults. The book was exceptionally edited, the writing immersive and the plot was brilliant. There is nothing I disliked about this novel: Fish Wielder easily places between the best books I have read this year, and I would be thrilled to have a second one. My rating is then: 4 out of 4 stars.

Fish Wielder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I loved loved loved this book. The whole tale was woven in a way that one can envision everything playing out. It was hilarious to know why Elford was leading all of them to the pie :lol2: Thanks for the amazing review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really need to read this. I've read anthem book by this author that I thoroughly enjoyed. I know I would like this too. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:

Post by marta baglioni »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 12:10 I loved loved loved this book. The whole tale was woven in a way that one can envision everything playing out. It was hilarious to know why Elford was leading all of them to the pie :lol2: Thanks for the amazing review.
Oh yes! It reminded me of when I am about to get out of the house and "something" suddenly disappears :roll2: :lol2:
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:

Post by marta baglioni »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 12:28 I really need to read this. I've read anthem book by this author that I thoroughly enjoyed. I know I would like this too. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for stopping by! I am certain you will enjoy this!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

This book is a must-read for all fantasy lovers and not only :D Thank you very much for this amazing review!
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:

Post by marta baglioni »

Ellylion wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 08:31 This book is a must-read for all fantasy lovers and not only :D Thank you very much for this amazing review!
It is! Thank you for commenting :)
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

This sounds like a really interesting and fun read. I really enjoy Terry Pratchett and from your glowing review, I am definitely adding this to my list. Thank you for sharing your review with us, it was beautifully written.
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:

Post by marta baglioni »

Katie Blackmore wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 14:18 This sounds like a really interesting and fun read. I really enjoy Terry Pratchett and from your glowing review, I am definitely adding this to my list. Thank you for sharing your review with us, it was beautifully written.
Oh, thank you! I hope you like it as much as I did :)
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

This seems Like some amazing fantasy work. I would love to read this book. Thank you so much for your wonderful review!
🌻🌼
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:

Post by marta baglioni »

Priya_Singh wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 21:15 This seems Like some amazing fantasy work. I would love to read this book. Thank you so much for your wonderful review!
🌻🌼
Thank you for commenting :tiphat:
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I have been postponing reading this book, but I love that you have nothing but praises for it, so I will definitely check it out.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I have read this book and can't agree with you more. It was such an entertaining and delightful read with amazing story plot and characters. Thoral and Brad's friendship was adorable. Excellent review!
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:

Post by marta baglioni »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 00:51 I have read this book and can't agree with you more. It was such an entertaining and delightful read with amazing story plot and characters. Thoral and Brad's friendship was adorable. Excellent review!
Thank you for commenting! I am glad you liked it :)
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

The plot is very intriguing. I'm glad that there's nothing to dislike about this book cause I'm planning to read this one. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”