Review of Higher Ground

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Review of Higher Ground

Post by Honest-reviewer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Higher Ground" by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cancer is one of the dreadful diseases. It poses a terror among people when they know that someone is battling with it. So, to help patients and their relatives deal with this, the cancer doctor, Sophie Edward-Bennett, MD, Ph.D., has written a nonfictional book named Higher Ground. The author is dearly called Dr. EB by her patients.

Higher ground is a short book that is 21 pages long divided into 7 parts. This is originally an audiobook, which I received in the written format to review. Here, the author refers to cancer as Big-C. The book starts with the introduction of the author and the commentary. Then, she talks about the transformative power of cancer, the chronicles of cancer patients, and the most important of all, the Re-Attitudes. These are seven in number that immensely help cancer patients.

The biggest appeal for me is the author’s idea of putting her thoughts about transforming the attitude of cancer patients into a book/audiobook. The author has included prelude and prose to ponder that adds essence to it. My most favorite thing about this book is the list of Re-Attitudes. They are reappraisal, restoration, reclamation, etc. These attitudes empower patients to understand and deal with their condition in a better way. The author has also included the concept of the bridge, which tells us how we can connect to cancer patients in their journey. I especially enjoyed reading the chant for cancer patients. It gives them mental strength and courage to fight their battle and win. This book is truly a boon for these patients. It inculcates a positive attitude in them, that has the power to reduce their morbidity and mortality. The author has mentioned a quote, that says, “For, with Him, all things are possible.” I loved this line. I surely believe that this book will be of great use to cancer patients to restore hope in them.

Overall, I found the book, Higher Ground very informative and motivating. This book seems well-edited, as I did not find any errors while reading. With that being said, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I highly recommend this book to cancer patients and their loved ones. It is also suitable for patients dealing with any chronic illness as it gives a sense of hope to them. I also recommend this book to healthcare professionals as it can be helpful for them to cultivate these attitudes in their patients. I am sure this book will be very useful to them.

Higher Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I think for someone not going through such trying times themselves, it is difficult to know how to help their loved ones when they are in such situations. Connecting with patients is quite important. I'm glad the author helps with this. Wonderful review!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book sounds quite wonderful. I think Big-C is certainly an apt name for cancer. I also liked the concept of Re-Attitudes you mentioned. They will definitely provide support, strength, and courage to the patients to fight. Thanks for the amazing review.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

Cancer is such a difficult disease to deal with. I would love to read this well written book. Thanks for your recommendation.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for your recommendation! It seems like a very educational book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Unfortunately, cancer affects all of us in one way or another. I'm glad the author has formatted this book in such a helpful manner. Thanks for your informative review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Those who offer support to their ailing family members also need support at times. Cancer is scary and those who suffer from it need to be assured and supported. It looks like this book offers helpful information.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I just reviewed this book and I enjoyed reading your take on it. Great review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Higher ground seems really informative and motivating for cancer patients. Great review!
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I like how the author divided the seven behaviors into seven different chapters. This book will enormously help people who are struggling with cancer. Thanks for the great review!
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

I've also read the book and thought it was great. I especially loved the chant for the patients. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”