Review of Descendant Deception

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of Descendant Deception

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Descendant Deception" by Kimi Baibre Jackson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Descendant Deception written by Kimi J. Baibre-Jackson is an emotional memoir about family secrets, betrayal and lies. Are truths sometimes withheld to protect people? Imagine finding out your entire life is a fabrication? This heartfelt story outlines how a single decision can change a life forever. The author writes this book and explains the emotional wounds she experiences when she learns, in adulthood, that her dad is not her biological father. As the story unfolds, we discover how this realization impacts her relationship with love and truth. It is easy to obsess about negative aspects of certain situations, as I cannot imagine discovering this kind of information.

I found a plethora of reasons for appreciating this story. Her story pulls apart the complexities of life itself. The author demonstrates bravery and grit. It is exhilarating to read of her acceptance and her path to recovery. I found inspiration and hope for her while reading which encouraged a positive feeling and that is what I liked best in this book. While not easy to digest, she was able to gain inner confidence and create the framework to build a tower of strength. The cover of this book portrays the substance inside perfectly. The plump, colorful tree represents life with photos of people hanging off the branches. Below the tree lies a snapshot of an older gentleman placed in the dirt, next to a shovel, which I assume represents her father.

There is no profanity or erotic content. I did not find any grammatical errors throughout my read, however, I did come across a few spacing issues, which is one negative thing that distracted my reading. Although a simple overlook, it is an error that should have been picked up through editing and proofreading.

The amount of time the family spent doing what they wanted and leaving all responsibilities behind infuriated me. The inconsideration and selfishness of the family added to my reasons for my book rating of a three out of four stars.

I think this book is suited for readers who enjoy memoirs and family drama mixed with mystery. It is a great read for anyone interested in the research of their own family tree and ancestry. The content is complicated, filled with unfortunate setbacks and many life lessons. This memoir wrestled with many emotions. Overall, I think if a book can trigger many feelings, it is a decent one to pick up and absorb yourself in.

Descendant Deception
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that if a book triggers feelings, then it is a good one to read, unless, of course, it triggers emotions better left alone. I have a hard time dealing with people who are ignoring their responsibilities as well. I appreciate your wonderful review!
Suzer6440 xyz

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Thank you. I appreciate your comment. Hope you are able to check this book out .
havasq78
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by havasq78 »

Perhaps the biggest draw into a story, story-telling that is, is to get the audience emotionally invested in the drama and characters. Especially in a case, as you state in your review, where the book itself may trigger the reader to research their roots. Well-written review!
Suzer6440 xyz

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Thanks. I appreciate it
Suzer6440 xyz

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Thanks. I appreciate it
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I enjoyed reading your review and most importantly your recommendation. Well done!
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

Life is hard as it normally is but when complicated by such shocking discoveries as like ones parentage, and then this while an adult, It ought to be impossible to live. It is good that this author is as brave as you mention. Thanks for your good review.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”