Review of The Dream Keepers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Diary of a wimpy kid
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Review of The Dream Keepers

Post by Jydel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dream Keepers" by Linda Keen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Star and Thatcher are trying to adjust to the change of environment. Following their parents’ death in an accident, their maternal grandparents took over their upbringing. This has changed since their grandmother, Uma, has taken ill and cannot look after them anymore. The two move to live with their paternal grandparents, who are like strangers to them. School life brings with it challenges and to cope, they get into the world of drugs. Drugs seem to work, but only for a short while. Life at home becomes unbearable, and this forces them to make hard decisions concerning their future.

The two are different, but get along well. Where Thatcher is quiet, Star is out-spoken and will make her feelings known. She is also very sensitive and does not like seeing anyone taken advantage of. They complement each other well and have each other’s back, both in school and at home. Their search for belonging is something anyone can identify with. As they lose their friends, so do they lose parts of themselves. The pitfalls they find themselves in are typical of many teenagers.

I liked the use of poetry. It provided catharsis to the story, especially during emotional turmoil. The dream sequence enabled the author to explore the coping mechanism for her characters. Star can find solutions to problems through her dreams. Every time she experiences a challenge, she gets transported to the dream world where she gets comfort or a solution to a problem. It is through dream also that Thatcher gets the courage to be strong for his sister when she gets overwhelmed with circumstances. Similarly, dream provides them the solution they desperately need to get back home.

Linda introduces the dreams rather obviously. This was my only disappointment in the book. There is no element of surprise. You are told when someone falls asleep. She even tells when the dream begins. This was a spoiler for me and because of this, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Dream Keepers is a book that will appeal to those who love adventure. The journey from the South to the west and back to the south will appeal to those who like such stories. Teenagers can also benefit from reading this book. The challenges that Thatcher and Star experience and how they wade through life can be a lesson to the young ones. The book features issues like peer influence, drug abuse, and counseling, which can influence behavior.

The Dream Keepers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Star and Thatcher seem like good kids who needed love and guidance. Thanks for a great review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book seems like a great read. Star and Thatcher must have suffered so much after losing their parents. Above all, their grandmother falling ill cost them even the stability she could have provided them with. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

That's spoiler thing was kinda awful, other than that this seems an amazing adventurous book I would love to read. Thanks for the great review.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I think this might be a confusing book to read because of the dreams, but I enjoyed your review.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

This novel seems like a interesting read. I would like to see how their story unfolds. Thank you for your fantastic review! :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”