Review of The Beginning of the End - It Starts

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review of The Beginning of the End - It Starts

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Beginning of the End - It Starts" by John K. Williamson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever thought of the world ending? What do you think you will do for your survival? Whom will you save first, yourself or your family? The Beginning of the End - It Starts is book one in a dystopian fantasy series by John K. Williamson that gives a glimpse of the monstrous world if it comes to an end.

The story begins with the sudden nuclear attack on the United States of America. The explosion has crumbled the entire country into piles of rubble. People, places, and lives burned and smoldered away. Those who survived have lost every ounce of humanity left in them. The only way left to survive is to kill. Out of the few survivors, John, Marvino, Janay, Henry, Ms. Morris, and Nancy are the only ones left alive. Now, with no one left to protect law and order and only the President, Jim Thomas, being alive, how will he stabilize the country. How will they fight to survive? If you are curious to know, prepare yourself! Because this book will make you shudder with fear.

The book contains many characters, but I must say that the author has brilliantly developed every character. They all are unique and realistic. The author has created a perfect chain of events happening one after another. Throughout this lengthy book of 328 pages, not even one moment bored me out. It was a fast-paced novel that kept me nervous and intimidated throughout the reading. The story was so full of twists and turns that I was biting my nails in the anxiety of the unknown. I also liked the author’s simple and articulate writing style.

The realism of events shown in the book hits hard on the face of the readers. People will fight until their last breath for their survival. This fact is palpable in the book at every point. Janay’s strength and ferociousness to survive for her kids is one remarkable evidence of it from the book.

There was nothing I disliked in the novel. However, some scenes disgusted me. For instance, Spyder mistreating women because of his insecurities and scenes of Jimmy torturing and slowly killing the people.

I want to warn the readers that the book contains frequent non-borderline profanities. There were many graphic scenes of violence and explicit depictions of gruesome rape and murder. Therefore, I recommend this book to a mature audience who likes dystopian science fiction and adventures. This novel is certainly not for teenagers. Also, readers sensitive to graphic violence might not like this book.

Finally, the book seems to be professionally edited, as I found some errors. It would be perfect after one more round of editing. The errors I found are not enough of a reason for me to take away any star. Hence, I happily rate this book four out of four stars.

The Beginning of the End - It Starts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

This book really reflects what humanity has come to. The majority are just waiting for an opportunity to wage a war. I really liked Janay and Henry; Janay for her show of strength and Henry for his kindness. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

The book seems fascinating, and the way reviewer has started describing about saving the first person if the world is coming to an end, makes the book even more captivating for me
Great job!
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

A thrilling adventure, indeed! I am not sure I am ready for a new series right now, but I will keep this on my TBR. Thank you for the great review!
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I loved the cover page. It looks so captivating. I would love to know what the characters will do for their survival. Thanks for the great review.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Sounds like an interesting book. I've read a couple apocalyptic fantasy book series and it's always surprising how everything goes south fast in the absence of law and order (rules and their enforcement). Thanks for the wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

I usually avoid reading books with excessive blood and gore. But for a book with a dystopian plot like this one, graphic violence and unnerving scenes seem inevitable.
Thanks for this wonderful review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

When there are many characters, it is rare to find them well developed. This book sounds fascinating what with all the dystopian survivals and human nature being laid bare. Thanks for the great review!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Oh my! This is only book one in a series?! This sounds like a thrilling dystopian novel—one I would not enjoy. Reading great reviews like yours is the closest I get to this type of book. Thank you for sharing your experience!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

After reading the review I feel like the book is some science fiction movie that will jeep you adventurous and thrilled throughout. thank you for much detailed review.
reviewinraven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewinraven.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by reviewinraven »

This book sounds exciting to read, especially with the realistic plot and character depth. Based on the review, it seems that there are a lot of varying characters which is something I enjoy because it is always interesting to see how different people will react differently from each other. I would consider picking up this book. Thank you for your informative review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

An issue that is so realistic, it could very well happen at any time.
Let's hope sane minds prevail and we never have to live through a nuclear winter.
Thank you for a superb review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Your review is captivating but I don't think my heart can handle this book. I'll pass.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

The title is intriguing. But I'm not into books that contain gruesome scenes. Great review!
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

This is such a fantastic story with lots of unexpected twists and turns. I’m going to read this soon; thanks for this great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”