Review of The Trafficking Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of The Trafficking Murders

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Trafficking Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Young men and women being whisked away under the pretence of the promise of a better life from Romania, a high-end prostitution ring in prestigious Queen's University, and the body of a young Chinese girl found murdered. All very different events yet seemingly connected. How can one make sense of it all?

The Trafficking murders by Brian O’Hare is the 5th book in the Inspector Sheehan Mystery series. We join the efficacious team led by Inspector Sheehan as they unload yet another mystery. The story kicks off following the death of Mingzhu, a young Chinese student at Queen's found dead in the backyard of a notable businessman in Belfast. Further inquisition leads to the discovery of even more shocking revelations. The story ropes the reader into the vile, malicious world of people trafficking happening right in the center of Northern Ireland. The investigation leads the team into the gates of Queen's University, where young, attractive girls live affluent lifestyles no one can account for, and male lecturers seem to have unconscionable relationships with the female students. In the background, a dark, vicious villain known as The Shadow controls it all.
On the other hand, helpless young men and women are being smuggled into the country from Romania into a thriving trafficking hub. There appears to be a connection between the events, and the team fights tirelessly to figure it all out. However, as the investigation intensifies, pieces of the puzzle come together and, a pile of suspects begins to surface. The Shadow is ruthless and seems to have eyes and ears everywhere. Can they find this vicious villain before it is too late?

The author's storytelling abilities are second to none. I was captivated from the beginning of this book right to the end. It also contained the right amount of suspense suitable for a book of its kind. I felt very emotionally connected to the plot and characters. The author was able to describe in heart-wrenching detail the appalling abuse suffered by victims of modern-day slavery. I felt their confusion, trepidation, and indeed hopelessness. I especially liked how the reader was carried along in the step-by-step investigative process. I was able to make my deductions about the suspects and how the book would ultimately end. The book surprisingly contained minimal profanity. It was also very well edited since I found no errors whatsoever within it.

The only negative thing I could pick up concerning this book was its title. I noticed it was too vague, and barely enough thought was invested into the naming. Compared to the content within, it felt very amateurish. That aside, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.

I rate this book a solid 4 out of 4 stars for all of the reasons mentioned above. It was definitely worth the read.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy mystery and crime thrillers. Older teenagers and young adults can also find the content of this book handy. I especially recommend this book to parents of teenagers, as it can serve as an eye-opener to the tactics employed by these capturers.

The Trafficking Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 814
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

The plot and the villain of this crime thriller sound unsettling and unforgettable.
Thanks for this amazing review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

This book's plot is interesting—trafficking in the heart of the city—and your analysis of the book makes it all the more intriguing. Your review was wholesome and interesting.
Amynwankwo_

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 23:54 The plot and the villain of this crime thriller sound unsettling and unforgettable.
Thanks for this amazing review. :tiphat:
Thank you for your comment! The Shadow is definitely a villain to remember.
Amynwankwo_

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

Hhannahh wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 08:30 This book's plot is interesting—trafficking in the heart of the city—and your analysis of the book makes it all the more intriguing. Your review was wholesome and interesting.
Thanks a lot for your comment!.. Much appreciated 🥰
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Woahhh!! The plot sounds enticing. I might give this investigative crime story a try. Thanks for the good review.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

The story sounds so interesting. The Shadow seems very dangerous. Did The Shadow kill Mingzhu? I would like to read the book. Thanks for the great review.
Amynwankwo_

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 10:00 Woahhh!! The plot sounds enticing. I might give this investigative crime story a try. Thanks for the good review.
Oh it’s definitely worth the try!.. Thanks for your comment.
Amynwankwo_

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 11:15 The story sounds so interesting. The Shadow seems very dangerous. Did The Shadow kill Mingzhu? I would like to read the book. Thanks for the great review.
You can only find out when you read the book!. Thanks for commenting❤️
Emeka1996
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emeka1996 »

This really sounds suspenseful and action packed. I’m also intrigued by the story line and I’m curious to know how The Shadow was finally caught. Did it kill Mingzhu, How does it control everything and most importantly, Who is it?.
Amynwankwo_

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

Emeka1996 wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 17:56 This really sounds suspenseful and action packed. I’m also intrigued by the story line and I’m curious to know how The Shadow was finally caught. Did it kill Mingzhu, How does it control everything and most importantly, Who is it?.
Tell me about it!, so many questions. You can find out by getting a copy and indulging!
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

The title is so spooky. And the concept of human trafficking happening right in the middle of such a big city is hair-raising. I really like the author's way of representing the story. Great review!
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Sounds really interesting in the way that only mystery books are. They just have you wanting to solve the mystery such that you don't want to put the book down. Thanks for the great review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Amynwankwo_

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 05:33 The title is so spooky. And the concept of human trafficking happening right in the middle of such a big city is hair-raising. I really like the author's way of representing the story. Great review!
Thanks for dropping by! I’m glad you like it.
Amynwankwo_

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

C Janet wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 09:11 Sounds really interesting in the way that only mystery books are. They just have you wanting to solve the mystery such that you don't want to put the book down. Thanks for the great review!
This is very true. Mystery books still remain my fave!. Thanks for your comment ❤️

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”