Review of Unlight

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review of Unlight

Post by Adelle v »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Unlight" by Chandra Shekhar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chandra Shekhar tells a gripping tale of five people having to flee for their very lives in a helicopter about to give up the ghost.The Shroud spoke of for many months has finally clouded the earth blocking the sun. The world as we know it is dying. With no infrastructure set in place by the ignorant government, they are forced together in a pesticide-free Eco-system shell created by Larry Brandon well-renowned engineer. Although he carries the searing guilt of not saving more people, he strives to help this family. To overcome as much self-doubt and other issues as he can.

Within this shell, the only barrier between them and a frozen world in time, they must learn to overcome many obstacles. They learn to overcome issue's within themselves fighting disease and that of the machine. As they learn to cope within this shell, they soon realize how lucky they are to live in this bubble. They learn to deal with religious issues, health scares, and also food depletion. But throughout their journey, they learn to reinvent themselves, to grow, to live.

Celebrating with a bottle of champagne every year that they get to be together, they contemplate the question, are there others like them on the outside? Are they alone? When will they be free? Or will they forever live in this shell and never experience the world on the outside again? Follow this well written journey of this Australian family forced to adjust and live within a bubble in the middle of a frozen desert. As the temperature keeps on dropping, the world grows colder. With new disasters looming on their shrunken horizon, the five heroes contemplate life and also death. Chandra Shekhar did an excelling job of creating a world none of us could imagine. In this compelling story Unlight you will wish for the warm rays of the sun on your skin, the wind in you hair, the smell of rain after a summer storm.

The thought and research that went into telling this story are inspiring. These five people, the last surviving astronauts encased in their shell, their spaceship on a journey to where they can't imagine, will make you grab a blanket and wish for the sun to rise again. But the question is, will it ever happen. And when it does, what will be the consequences?

This soft sci-fi is a well written story that makes for a good read. It kept me intrigued this is a real page turner. The book appeared to be professionally edited; I encountered no errors. Fans of apocalyptic scenarios will love this book. I am privileged to award this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Unlight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 814
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

It's the kind of story I've never heard of before and I must say the overall scenario is very fascinating.
Thanks for this wonderful review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

I'm quite intrigued to find out if these five people will ever be free. It must be a great challenge to live in this shell and learn to cope with so many things. Thanks for the wonderful review!
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”