Review of Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Review of Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates

Post by Michelle Menezes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates" by Chris Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What kind of games did you play as a child? Did any of them involve using your imagination and going on make-believe adventures? What would you do if those scenarios came to life? After a conversation with Evan's father, the kids hope to meet some pirates on their beach outing. While swimming, a huge wave carries them to a different land and era where they run into pirates who are transporting magical treasure. A threat looms on the horizon. Will Evan and his friends be able to defeat it and get back to their world?

Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates by Chris Williams is a delightful children's story. It is well written with simple language and beautiful illustrations. The pictures are bright and colorful that would capture the children's attention and encourage them to read. They also match particular scenes in the book. The descriptions of the places are detailed enough to create a mental picture. The author has also tried to incorporate humor by using silly riddles and sea shanties with funny lyrics.

Apart from entertaining, the book has also tried to impart knowledge. It talks about various countries and their climates. In addition, there are also explanations of words throughout the book that may be new to the kids. In one scene, Evan's father demonstrates how a particular word can be used by putting on a short play. The meanings that aren't included in the story are mentioned in the glossary at the end of the book.

The book also highlights certain character traits like intelligence, determination, and confidence. For example, when the kids are stranded and decide to go in search of people, Violet suggests that they mark their starting point so that they don't end up walking in circles. When kids read something like this, they slowly begin developing problem-solving skills. Another thing that the kids will enjoy is the pictures at the end of the book that they can color.

I didn't find anything to dislike in the book. Even though I'm an adult, I had fun reading this adventurous story. It had a good flow and pace that kept me entertained till the end. The characters were equally great. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It only had one minor error, so the editing was well done. I recommend this book to children between 5-9 years of age. In the case of younger kids, an adult can read the story out loud to them. Even adults who enjoy children's stories can give it a try.

Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates
View: on Bookshelves
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

This book is perfect for kids as it highlights character traits like intelligence, determination and confidence. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”