Review of The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Review of The Reel Sisters

Post by Tarie07 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a story about five different women of different age groups and backgrounds who become friends when they least expect it. It is written in a first-person narrative of the five sisters. Melody, Rose, Veronica, Sophie, and Amanda all have a passion for fly fishing. Despite their age gaps and different personalities, these women stick together through the good and the bad times. They use Rose’s cabin as a getaway place. They become more than just friends. They become family.

Rose is the eldest, and she has more knowledge about fly fishing than the other sisters. She gives them priceless advice and teaches them everything she knows about fly fishing. Melody is the youngest. She is a very ambitious photographer with a wild personality. One day she was scouting for the perfect outdoor photoshoot spot and she had a potentially catastrophic accident. She is saved by the other four sisters and that is how her journey with The Reel Sisters begins.

I loved the family theme the author managed to bring out. Family does not have to be all about blood. You can find family in strangers when you least expect it. The Reel Sisters were strong independent women and their characters were very inspirational. They were empowering and encouraged women to get out of their comfort zones. Michelle Cummings meticulously describes some really helpful tips for fly fishing beginners, which makes the sport sound so interesting that at the end of the novel, I was convinced this is a sport I should try. The author managed to maintain the perfect pace of the story. There was never a time when it was either too fast-paced or too slow-paced. The use of dialogs made sure the writing style was not too stiff. It also made reading easier and more enjoyable.

My favorite character was Rose. She was way older than the other sisters, but still very energetic. She was the glue that held the group together. The advice she gave to the other characters made her irreplaceable. The vocabulary was quite light and easy to understand. Therefore it did not take me long to finish reading. Michelle Cummings managed to enlighten the mood of the book by throwing in humor here and there. I loved how the author put fly fishing quotes at the beginning of every chapter. Although fly fishing brought the characters together, I loved the fact that Cummings did not linger too much on their fishing days only, but showed other sides of the characters. She talked about their family and love lives which gave the book the perfect twist it needed. Amanda’s husband was in the military and he was away from his family most of the time. Women who are married to men who serve their country in the army would relate to her. Sophie has had her heart broken before and is now sabotaging a chance at finding love again. Many women can relate to this, no matter what age group they fall under and this makes the characters more real.

I did not come across any grammatical or typographical errors, which means the book was professionally edited. There was never a time I got bored while reading the book. The author managed to write in a captivating style and therefore The Reel Sisters deserves four out of four stars.

There is a bit of profanity throughout the book, which makes it suitable for young adults. Anyone who loves fly fishing and adventure should check The Reel Sisters out. If you are interested in learning fly fishing, this could give some technical guides into the sport. There are some light erotic scenes that are not suitable for a young audience.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

The story of women of five different age groups became friends. The author's captivating writing style make it a more delightful read. It will look into their story. Thanks for the amazing review.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:

Post by Tarie07 »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 05:53 The story of women of five different age groups became friends. The author's captivating writing style make it a more delightful read. It will look into their story. Thanks for the amazing review.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for commenting.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I love a good story about strong bonds being formed. I might even have to check out fly fishing now! Nice review!
Tarie07
Currently Reading:

Post by Tarie07 »

[bn=][/bn]
Rashawn Carter wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 11:00 I love a good story about strong bonds being formed. I might even have to check out fly fishing now! Nice review!
Fly fishing certainly sounded like it was fun. I hope you enjoy it.
Peace Eze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

I love the role Amanda played in caring for her two infants when her husband traveled. She really caught my attention with her actions.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”