Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review of Kalayla

Post by Astral Magi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla is taking the world by storm. At 11 years of age, she is street smart and knows something about everything. Her mother works long hours and consequently, Kalayla is left to her own devices most of the time. With a tendency to say whatever comes to her mind, she soon captures the attention of one of the neighbors. Her uncle Clarence is also a hassle and she knows she must keep him away from her momma. Furthermore, she has doubts about the origin of the gifts he presents to them from time to time.

Lena worries about the little girl and her mother that have moved into her building. She finds out that Maureen is raising Kalayla on her own because her husband died in a car crash. Lena's history is filled with regrets and tragedy and this inspires her to keep a watchful eye on the little girl. She worries that Kalayla will stumble upon the real reason why she has never met her mother's side of the family. Lena draws comparisons between Kalayla and her own boys and hopes that she can spare the girl some of the hurt and anguish that comes with growing up.

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is a book that will find its way deep into your heart. I loved how the community got involved with Maureen and Kalayla and helped them wherever they could. I also enjoyed the relationship that developed between Lena and Kalayla despite Kalayla's sharp tongue and quick temper. The interactions between these two characters are hilarious and offer comic relief from the harsh issues that are dealt with.

There was nothing that I didn't like about the book. The characters are skillfully developed, and the story has a decisive plot. Readers should have a box of tissues handy because tears are inevitably going to flow. Jeannie Nicholas explores subjects such as racial discrimination, sexual abuse, and gender-based violence in a tactful manner that draws awareness to these delicate subjects.

The book is exceptionally well edited, with a strong plot and I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would not recommend it to people that are easily triggered or suffer from trauma related to abuse or racial discrimination. Although the story centers around a child, it is filled with adult content and isn't suitable for children. I recommend the book to a mature audience that enjoys the family drama genre and also a bit of comedy. Those that read this book will fall in love with the characters.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
๐Ÿ•‰Be Here NowโŒ›
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

I like your review. I read and did a review of the same and I am glad you did not make the same mistake I made in my review. I wrote the name Kalayla in italics while referring to the character. Poor me.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

I also reviewed this book and thought it was really good. The characters was the best part about the story for sure. Nice review!
Astral Magi

Post by Astral Magi »

Clifford Munene wrote: โ†‘25 Sep 2021, 10:22 I like your review. I read and did a review of the same and I am glad you did not make the same mistake I made in my review. I wrote the name Kalayla in italics while referring to the character. Poor me.
Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that. But we learn from our mistakes. Thank you for commenting๐Ÿ‘Œ
๐Ÿ•‰Be Here NowโŒ›
Astral Magi

Post by Astral Magi »

Elena Nechita wrote: โ†‘25 Sep 2021, 11:50 I also reviewed this book and thought it was really good. The characters was the best part about the story for sure. Nice review!
Thank you. I also loved this story.
๐Ÿ•‰Be Here NowโŒ›
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I loved reviewing this book! I loved it and how it made me feel. Great review!
โ€œBe wary. Be clever. Be good.โ€
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I read this book as well and my favorite part of it is the main character, Kalayla. Her character is just so unique. Especially when she's talking about her uncle Clarence. Great review!
Astral Magi

Post by Astral Magi »

C Janet wrote: โ†‘25 Sep 2021, 15:27 I loved reviewing this book! I loved it and how it made me feel. Great review!
It was such an inspiration. Thank you for commenting.
๐Ÿ•‰Be Here NowโŒ›
Astral Magi

Post by Astral Magi »

Unosthetic wrote: โ†‘25 Sep 2021, 22:50 I read this book as well and my favorite part of it is the main character, Kalayla. Her character is just so unique. Especially when she's talking about her uncle Clarence. Great review!
Agreed! Such a cutie. Thank you for commenting.
๐Ÿ•‰Be Here NowโŒ›
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

I loved the book too. It is very difficult finding people like Lena who decide to help total strangers. Nice review!
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I agree with whatever you mentioned in your review. I too reviewed it a while ago and this book is a bundle of every emotion one can think about. Thanks for your review.

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€