Review of That Guy What Kill Topsy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ethan Howe
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-howe.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier
fav_author_id: 50532

Review of That Guy What Kill Topsy

Post by Ethan Howe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Guy What Kill Topsy" by Peter Wood Cotterill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

That Guy What Kill Topsy is an other fiction novel by Peter Wood Cotterill. It is a collection of short stories of the twentieth century. These stories are based on the author's experiences. It has themes like politics, love, entrepreneurship and racism. It is narrated from both first-person and third-person points of view. The title is got from the first story in the novel.

The first story is about the prisoner who is hated. The second is about the man who throws a can to a road user. The third story is about a soldier who has been hit in a bomb explosion. The next are about the old man who commits suicide, the shy aunty Bett who loves quizzes, Flossie the entrepreneur, the depressed beggar, a man who decides to start a new life at fifty and the author's adventure to Africa. The tenth story is about men and women who come to a meeting about marketing. The other stories are about the lottery winner, the singer who is annoying, and the woman who considers herself to be a widow. The author ends the book with a poem about a cat called Galore.

The novel is a collection of stories from different genres. Some are interesting while others are boring. The thing that I liked most about the novel was the story about the marketing meeting. People of different beliefs, races, professions and financial statuses come together and discuss about issues that are interesting and educative. I liked it that some stories are about the personal history and experiences of the author. Some stories help the reader to know more about colonial rule in Africa.

The thing that I disliked about the novel is that the author tries to show ascents of characters while quoting their words. The quoted words of characters contain many errors as the author's design to show their ascents, but this gave me a difficult time when comprehending these words.

The novel was well edited. The errors found in the novel are in quotations but this is just the author's design. I give That Guy What Kill Topsy a 2 out of 4 stars rating. I have deducted one star because some stories are boring and another star because quoted words are difficult to comprehend. I recommend the novel to lovers of short story collection novels. I also recommend it to readers of other fiction novels. The novel has erotic scenes and profane words hence not recommended for young audiences.

That Guy What Kill Topsy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Great review. I also like books with collections of different stories especially when the stories have different topics and themes. Thanks.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I can understand your pain with the quoted words problem. This can be very frustrating and difficult to comprehend for a reader. But I did like the mixture of different stories in the book. Thanks for the great review!
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

You review is wonderful. However, it's awful that some short stories were boring. Great review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Some of the stories sound exciting, but I would skip over marketing stories. Depressed beggars are also not really my idea of fun. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

The beauty of a short-story collection is there’s bound to be at least one story that you Iike. :D The one about the marketing meeting was not one of my favorites, but I enjoyed the collection overall.
Thank you for your honest take on this read!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Starilanka Glowy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starilanka-glowy.html
Latest Review: Stupid Divorce by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Starilanka Glowy »

Good job on the review. The last thing I want to read is a boring story with incomprehensible quotes. I'll pass this one, but I hope another round of editing will fix the issues.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

Including different stories is always a problem. If they're not all interesting it becomes a downer. The different accents sound really trying. Thanks for the honest review!
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

Clifford Munene wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 05:58 Great review. I also like books with collections of different stories especially when the stories have different topics and themes. Thanks.
These types of books have fascinating stories. Thanks for the comment.
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 06:06 I can understand your pain with the quoted words problem. This can be very frustrating and difficult to comprehend for a reader. But I did like the mixture of different stories in the book. Thanks for the great review!
These words gave me a very difficult time. Thanks for the comment.
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 09:50 You review is wonderful. However, it's awful that some short stories were boring. Great review!
Thanks for the empowering comment.
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

Niens Now wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 02:30 Some of the stories sound exciting, but I would skip over marketing stories. Depressed beggars are also not really my idea of fun. Thanks for a great review.
The story of the beggar is not fascinating but it is inspirational. Thanks for the comment.
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

MsH2k wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 01:08 The beauty of a short-story collection is there’s bound to be at least one story that you Iike. :D The one about the marketing meeting was not one of my favorites, but I enjoyed the collection overall.
Thank you for your honest take on this read!
I am glad you also enjoyed the collection.
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

Starilanka Glowy wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 07:56 Good job on the review. The last thing I want to read is a boring story with incomprehensible quotes. I'll pass this one, but I hope another round of editing will fix the issues.
That's your choice and I am happy that you shared your thoughts with me. Thanks for the comment.
Ethan Howe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ethan Howe »

DyanaFl wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 10:52 Including different stories is always a problem. If they're not all interesting it becomes a downer. The different accents sound really trying. Thanks for the honest review!
These accents are really trying and displeasing. Thank for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”