Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manuella Pungwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manuella-pungwe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Kalayla

Post by Manuella Pungwe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalaya is a fiction novel exploring the lives of three key characters: Maureen, an Irish woman disowned by her family for marrying a black man; Lena, a widowed mother struggling to connect with her children; and Kalayla, an 11-year-old girl with a hot temper and the biggest heart. Their relationship go from neighbourly to intricately connected within a few months as Maureen deals with heartbreak and isolation while raising her daughter who isn’t afraid to speak her mind. Lena, their landlord who lives in the same building, attempts to heal the wounds Kalayla is covering which in turn forces her to face the ghosts of her past which she has been avoiding for years.

This book is one that deals with consequences. It exposes how the effects of mistakes and bad choices can be felt for years after. I thoroughly enjoyed how the complexity of relationships are portrayed and the struggles faced by Maureen as a parent to a generation unafraid of whatever is thrown at them. In their own ways, each of the characters are mourning the loss of vital people in their lives. Lena uses her regret and sorrow to motivate herself to help raise Kalayla and be what she never could have been to her own children. Maureen learns to adjust to living a life without her husband and the consequences of having been in an interracial marriage. All the while, Kalayla’s growth is reputable as the truth about her family slowly unravels.

Several things I enjoyed about the book were the backstories to Maureen and Lena’s lives and how they have influenced their current circumstances. Additionally, the book is written in such a way that the world is viewed from different perspectives. Each chapter begins with a new character, driving the story in their own way. Viewing the world through Kalayla’s eyes was what I found most interesting. Through her interactions with others and her thoughts, one can truly see how charming of a character she is as well as the change in her way of thinking as she grows. Kalayla operates on pure logic, irrespective of the feelings or consequences involved. She is a girl of the present, not dwelling on the past but using it to propel her future.

In my opinion, the book had no negative aspects. There were a few, minor errors that were easy to scan over. For this reason, I give Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas a rating of 4 out of 4 stars .

Since the novel tackles difficult topics such as racism, homophobia, domestic violence, rape, and occasional language; I would not recommend it to younger audiences. It is most suitable for mature teenagers and adults. Ultimately, I would recommend it to anyone wishing to understand more about the concepts surrounding familial troubles and how family is not always something you were born into.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jerry334
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry334.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Jerry334 »

Nice review. I have never read a story that features three female protagonist with different background.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”