Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nobody has ever promised us an easy life. Still, it seems to me that destiny often treats us unequally. Everybody struggles at times, but some do seem to get more than their share of troubles. Have you ever come across the story of Job, a God-fearing man? He was famous for his fabulous wealth and helpful nature, and he seemed to be favored by the Lord. But a day of horrible misfortune came, and he lost everything. His life turned into endless suffering, and even his body was tormented in ways beyond my imagination. We can find the story of Job from the Bible. However, there was more to it than the Bible reveals. Let us put the poor man aside for a moment and turn our focus on his wife.

The Legacy of Job’s Wife by the author Cynthia Koelker is a work of fiction that offers new insights into this well-known story. The Bible does not tell much about Job’s wife. Koelker, staying true to the original tale, has succeeded in composing a plausible life story of this extraordinary woman. The story picked up from the day Ix'ises was born and followed her footsteps from the cradle to the gates of eternity. The lives of Job and Ix'ises were bound together. They shared years of incredible wealth and happiness, but when the day of destruction came, it was not only Job who lost everything. Their wealth disappeared in a flash. However, what stroke them both even harder was the loss of their children. Ix’ises was devastated, but there was yet one more thing she had to face. When Job got sick and was swaying on the fringes of death, Ix’ises faced the harsh possibility of losing him. And this death-stinking maggot-eaten man was all she had left. All the purpose had abandoned her. How could she ever recover or even survive these unthinkable hardships?

I fell in love with the character of Ix’ises. She had a sense of justice that outdid mine, and she pondered the same seemingly insane issues that have troubled me so many times. She was finding it difficult to make sense of the ways of God, and she poured all her joys and doubts into her music. I would have loved to meet her in person! Except for her character, my favorite thing about this book was the warm tone in its narration. Regardless of the unspeakable amount of suffering this story included, it was still surrounded by a miraculous scent of heavenly love. Maybe God favored Job, but this book left me with a feeling that he might not have been the only one. I realize that this book might look quite different in the eyes of readers who are not familiar with the scriptures. Therefore, I tried to imagine reading the story without any background knowledge. My conclusion was that this book could stand on its own feet. The story might offer different perspectives for those unfamiliar with Job’s life, but it would still be a marvelous read.

I have only one critical thought to share about this book. Unfortunately, it lacked to give an equal amount of attention to the different seasons of Ix’ises' life. The story started strong from her childhood years. The author described them passionately and precisely. As the story proceeded to the following parts, its intensity weakened. I got the impression that the author grew impatient to finish her work. It was as if she lost parts of her concentration towards the end. Had the whole book been written with equal intensity, there wouldn't be enough stars in the rating system to rate it.

Regardless of this minor distraction, I can't remember the last time I have read such a beautifully written book. This life-changing fiction influenced the depths of my heart, and I found myself looking at the world through different eyes than before. The work of Cynthia Koelker is thoroughly impressive. Since also the editing neared perfection, the only justified rating for this book is 4 out of 4 stars. 

The Legacy of Job’s Wife is a beautiful read for those who appreciate historical fiction with a hint of romance. In addition, an interest in eternal issues might come in handy.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 15:14 This life-changing fiction influenced the depths of my heart, and I found myself looking at the world through different eyes than before.
That is a true testimony to the beauty of this novel! I will admit, I've never considered Job's wife much. Every time I read the book of Job, I come away thinking, "It's great that they had more children, but what about the ones that perished?" :cry:

I'm not sure if this book's for me, but I adored your review and your sharing how this story affected you. Thank you for a superb review. :sunflower:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for your thorough and well-written review! It answers to the question whether I should read this book or not. Great job :)
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

MsH2k wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 22:46
Kirsi_78 wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 15:14 This life-changing fiction influenced the depths of my heart, and I found myself looking at the world through different eyes than before.
That is a true testimony to the beauty of this novel! I will admit, I've never considered Job's wife much. Every time I read the book of Job, I come away thinking, "It's great that they had more children, but what about the ones that perished?" :cry:

I'm not sure if this book's for me, but I adored your review and your sharing how this story affected you. Thank you for a superb review. :sunflower:
Yes, when you read Job’s story, it does sound like the first set of children was somehow replaced with a new set. I could never swallow that either. However, this book gave a new viewpoint to this issue, and this new one was somehow easier to accept.

Thank you so much for your kind words! They mean a whole lot to me :happy-sunshine:
Kirsi
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

While I cant say historical fiction is a genre that interest me, this novel still sounds interesting! I enjoyed your review! :D
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 09:46 Thank you for your thorough and well-written review! It answers to the question whether I should read this book or not. Great job :)
In case you decide to read it, I hope you’ll enjoy as much as I did! Thank you for stopping by 😃
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 08:19 While I cant say historical fiction is a genre that interest me, this novel still sounds interesting! I enjoyed your review! :D
I think this book was officially listed under “romance”. And it is also a beautiful love story! Sometimes categorizing books is not easy at all 😃 anyway, in case you decide to read it, I hope you’ll enjoy!
Kirsi
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Although I cringe when religion is used in a book, this sounds fascinating. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

You are so right, that's why I loved Ix’ises' childhood years the best. :) Thanks for your amazing review!
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

I don't know the story of Job from the Bible. Ix'ises seems to be one hell of a woman. Her story sounds interesting and inspiring. Thank you for the amazing review.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Niens Now wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 02:37 Although I cringe when religion is used in a book, this sounds fascinating. Thanks for a great review.
This was indeed a beautiful book! Thank you for your kind words!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Ellylion wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 15:49 You are so right, that's why I loved Ix’ises' childhood years the best. :) Thanks for your amazing review!
Thanks for your kind words!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

poojkapadia wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 03:49 I don't know the story of Job from the Bible. Ix'ises seems to be one hell of a woman. Her story sounds interesting and inspiring. Thank you for the amazing review.
Ix’ises really had an extraordinary life and as far as I am concerned, she was a special lady. If you ever happen to read this book, do me a favor and tell me how it was for you. It would be interesting to hear an opinion from someone who is not familiar with the original story!

Thank you for your lovely feedback!
Kirsi
Ayomid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomid.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter

Post by Ayomid »

Although conclusions really do matter, it seems this book has pulled it off even with a weak conclusion. Thanks for a well-written review.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Ayomid wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 15:55 Although conclusions really do matter, it seems this book has pulled it off even with a weak conclusion. Thanks for a well-written review.
Thank you for reading and commenting!
Kirsi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”