Review of Living Forward After Loss

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Living Forward After Loss

Post by Humera955 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Living Forward After Loss" by Kathleen Ho.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Living Forward After Loss is a self-help book written in the loving memory of the author’s soulmate David Bigby. This is the journey of Kathleen Ho, who lost his husband due to a stroke. When her ten years of marriage journey ended, she could not bear the unimaginable pain of losing his partner. In the introduction, the author claims to provide you with strategies to mend your emotional pain.

Apart from living forward this novel teaches you about some important things like love, vulnerability, and grief. It gives a message of how important grief is for the healing of our hearts. Kathleen advises avoiding these three things while grieving, drug abuse, alcoholism, and impulsive decision making. The best way to cope up with your thoughts is to write them down, and establish healthy food habits, exercise, and surround yourself with good company. This book also talks about many psychological facts by Richard Tedeschi and many other psychologists

One thing I liked most about this book is the simplicity of presentation. The author straightforwardly conveyed her message. Another thing it teaches is to have gratitude in life through her personal story when she was suffering from a brain tumor. While reading such stories you realize miracles do happen. One of my favorite lesson is “ the difficulties that we go through, train us to be stronger and better equipped to deal with challenges in life.”

I disliked nothing about this book, I agree with all that is written. At the same time I don’t think just a 100-page book could be all for a person who wants to move on in their life, I mean they have lost the most important person of their life, it takes will, courage, effort and most important people around you, who are supportive and understanding. In chapter 7 she has enlisted the best and worst things to say to a person who has lost someone and I think that would be very helpful to a lot of people.

I give Living Forward After loss 3 out of 4 ratings. One point is deducted for the grammatical mistakes such as the wrong use of articles and hyphens, otherwise, it is all good. It contains no profanity or abusive language. Everyone can read this book but I think the author has written this novel specifically addressing people who have lost their loved one and have faced death at some point in their life, so it is more relatable and motivating to them.

Living Forward After Loss
View: on Bookshelves
:tiphat:
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I just recently give this book a sample and the initiative of the author is great but the book was presented as a self-help book when the author didn't have a profession in this matter it should be presented as a memoir. But your review is great.
Humera955

Post by Humera955 »

:tiphat: thanks for the comment
Unosthetic wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 21:19 I just recently give this book a sample and the initiative of the author is great but the book was presented as a self-help book when the author didn't have a profession in this matter it should be presented as a memoir. But your review is great.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

A simple and instructive book that could be very helpful. Thank you for your insightful review!
Humera955

Post by Humera955 »

:tiphat: thanks for stopping by
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 12:33 A simple and instructive book that could be very helpful. Thank you for your insightful review!
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

It's commendable that the author wrote a book out of her own pain to help others who are suffering similarly.
Thanks for a great review!
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I recently reviewed this book too and I agree completely with your review.
The books is helpful, and I feel it would be more helpful as a guide for those who are on their way back from despair and are looking for the next step.
You are right, someone in the depths of despair will certainly not be reading a self help book.
Thanks for the honest review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Humera955

Post by Humera955 »

:tiphat: thankyou for your meaningfull comment .
zainherb wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 16:33 I recently reviewed this book too and I agree completely with your review.
The books is helpful, and I feel it would be more helpful as a guide for those who are on their way back from despair and are looking for the next step.
You are right, someone in the depths of despair will certainly not be reading a self help book.
Thanks for the honest review.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I also reviewed this book recently, and I agree about the straightforward way the writer conveyed her message. Great review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

This book sounds like a great guide for those who have suffered the loss of someone close to them. Thanks for the wonderful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Losing someone is one of the hardest things we have to deal with. Anything that helps with the grief is a good thing. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
G D H
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Americanah
Currently Reading: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-d-h.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by G D H »

Living Forward After Loss is a fine title. When life happens to us, it is easy to get stuck gazing at the sidewalk, or behind us. This book seems to be teaching us or those of us who go through such painful moment to move on, “living forward”.

Nice it shows how. A fine review..
Humera955

Post by Humera955 »

:tiphat: thanks for your comment
G D H wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 12:06 Living Forward After Loss is a fine title. When life happens to us, it is easy to get stuck gazing at the sidewalk, or behind us. This book seems to be teaching us or those of us who go through such painful moment to move on, “living forward”.

Nice it shows how. A fine review..
Humera955

Post by Humera955 »

kandscreeley wrote: Losing someone is one of the hardest things we have to deal with. Anything that helps with the grief is a good thing. Thanks.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

It is excruciatingly painful to lose your dear ones. This book seems like a calming medicine for someone who lost someone. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”