Review of Toxic Side Effect

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Review of Toxic Side Effect

Post by Prarthna »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toxic Side Effect" by Sandy Magner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Time is the wisest of all, for it reveals everything. Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner is the sequel to Pocket Dial, but it can be read as a standalone novel. It revolves around the theme of family, love, murder and secrets.

The narrative is from the perspective of Jennifer Burns. The book begins with Jennifer rushing to hospital after she was told that her father, Richard Burns has been hospitalised. The doctor informs her that Richard has ingested cyanide poison and Jennifer’s mother, Audrey Burns becomes the prime suspect. Soon after, Richard dies and Jennifer sets out on the quest to find the real killer to clear her mother’s name. She discovers that her parent’s seemingly perfect marriage was an illusion. Slowly the family secrets begin to unravel, which leaves Jennifer staggered and overwhelmed. Is Jennifer’s mother actually guilty? Will Jennifer be able to catch the real killer to save her mother?

The author quickly got me involved in the lives of the characters. Jennifer, mother of two children, has had two broken marriages and one of her past relationship was traumatic. She is a strong woman who doesn’t like to sit back and watch. She is very protective of her family. Jennifer’s past was mentioned quite a lot and every time I wished I had read Pocket Dial, as it seemed to be interesting. The characters in this book are relatable. One of the characters that I loved was Jennifer’s best friend, Kat. She is unapologetically straight forward. Sometimes, she comes off as rude, but I loved her sarcastic remarks. Their friendship is remarkable. Audrey Burns was another character who intrigued me. I was impressed by some of her decision and could understand why she made them.

The book is beautifully written, but I would have preferred it to be a bit more fast-paced and more twist and turns could have been incorporated. At some points, I found the story to be lagging and not compelling enough, but most of the parts were inquisitive and engrossing. Nonetheless, the final reveal was satisfying.

I would rate this book three out of four stars, as I would have preferred more complexity in this mystery. Overall, the characters are well-written. Also, there are some hidden moral lessons in this book. I only found two minor typos so I can say that this book is professionally edited. Finally, I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy light suspense thriller.

Toxic Side Effect
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Jennifer's character appeals me to read this book. However, it's awful that the book doesn't have enough twists and turns to keep the readers engage because like you, I too prefer many twists and turns. Thanks for the great review.🤠
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

A pity that it isn't complex enough, and yet, Jennifer sounds like an intriguing character. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

What kind of suspect use cyanide poison as his weapon? I'm excited to know. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The story may be a bit too linear for this genre but, overall, it still seems a good thriller with well-developed characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

While I do enjoy being on the edge of my seat, a good plot and some well-written characters can keep me engaged just as well.
Thank you for your review!
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the characters are perfectly developed. They perfectly complement an interesting plot. Thanks for the good review.
Ethan Howe
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-howe.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ethan Howe »

It deserves a 3 out 4 stars rating. Slow paced novels tend to be boring but thanks to the author its characters are fascinating and relatable.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

This sounds like a great read. I don't mind slow paced books.
I hope Jenifer's mother is not the culprit even though she is the obvious suspect.
Thanks for the interesting review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This book looks like a interesting murder mystery with full of saddening events. Thanks for your lovely review about this book, which I enjoyed reading.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I do feel like this is such a miss for me because a good mystery thriller novel has many twists and turns that would make you squirm in your seat. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”