Review of Toward Happier Choices

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Matilda99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matilda99.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Review of Toward Happier Choices

Post by Matilda99 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toward Happier Choices" by Michael Oborn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toward Happier Choices:A coffee conspiracy by Michael Oborn, is a collection of provoking, well-thought-out stories and influential people that have impacted the author's life in one way or the other. Throughout the three sections of the book: Short Stories, Potpourri and Exceptional people, the author speaks strongly of freedom of individual expression, love for democracy, feminism, Constitution, Bill of Rights, Independence and Mormon religion.

Born in a devout Mormon family and raised a Mormon son, Michael was deeply conditioned into Mormonism. It's training, way of living, beliefs and customs were deeply invested over time. This was until he made the decision to find himself, understand his worth and leave behind the church and its teachings.This made him an apostate to the Mormon church. Severed and a pariah, he resorts to alcohol as a way to survive the abandonment, rejection of his family, times of exertion, being judged and feeling unworthy. Alcohol filled the emptiness but in turn took him captive. It's until he started attending the AA meetings that he felt he fully belonged. Other addicts like his best friend Jack Smith felt like family.

Writing eventually became a remedy, a discovery, a true freedom, a voice to all the shafts men mound on women and abuse of women under a grandiose banner of religious freedom. Michael Oborn addresses the narcissistic and patriarchal nature of the Mormon church and the exertion of women into thinking that they are lesser beings. He strongly advocates for women's rights and for women to make their own choices about their own bodies. After spending many years living out of values that are abating, the author now lives free of fears, cultural beliefs and continues to vouch for those who feel abandoned, misunderstood and treated like rejects.

I enjoyed reading the various essays that showed different stages, growth and change of mindset of the author's life. Each story is thought-provoking and addresses day-to-day issues and challenges still faced in the present day. I could not find anything I disliked as each story is exceptional and well-written. The book also contains citations in reference to religion from different phenomenal people.This makes the book more relatable.

I would give a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The book is well-written but contains a few errors. Despite this, the errors did not discourage me from reading the book. It's an enlightening read written in an emotional and sincere manner and will be best suited for anyone who feels rammed in a cultural mindset with undermining values and wants freedom and independence. It's also for those floundering with drunkenness, those who feel trapped and want a change. Feminists, human rights activists, scholars and parents would also learn a lot on the subjects addressed.

Toward Happier Choices
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”