Review of Twisted Threads

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Twisted Threads

Post by asteel18 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Akira Sato is a former Japanese geisha turned assassin who is stuck in a gang run by Kaito Mitsui. Mitsui offers Akira a way out of the gang if she completes one last assignment. Mitsui’s sister has been murdered and he’s convinced it is one of two people. It’s either a man named Paul Lyons or Paul’s wife Sara. Akira’s assignment is to find out which person is responsible for the death of Mitsui’s sister and kill them. To find the murderer, Akira must befriend the Lyons family while “vacationing” on a cruise ship. Akira is joined on the ship by Takashi Hamada who plays the role of her father but who is also working for Mitsui. To Akira’s surprise and delight she finds the perfect person to help her get closer to the Lyons family. Paul’s nephew Devon is also on board the ship. Devon is handsome, single, and very obviously attracted to Akira. Things start to get steamy between Akira and Devon and while she tries to stick to her assignment, she can’t help but start falling for Devon.

Twisted Threads is the fourth novel in a series by Kaylin McFarren. It would be somewhat helpful to have read the previous books in the series to better understand some of the characters in this novel but it isn't necessary. The author provided enough background to make this a standalone novel. But with that being said, I enjoyed Twisted Threads so much I would like to read the other three books in the series. What I liked about this book was that the characters were engaging and well-developed. I immediately liked Akira and sympathized with the struggles she faced trying to extricate herself from Mitsui’s gang. On one hand, she’s a cunning murderer because she has to be. But she’s also an intelligent woman with a playful sense of humor. Devon Lyons is also an interesting character, evolving from a happy-go-lucky playboy to a steadfast and loyal man who starts to fall in love with Akira. All of the supporting characters had depth and were intriguing. I could even empathize with the un-likable characters because they were so well written that I could understand their motivations.

The pacing of this book was neither fast nor slow but it was never dull. I thoroughly enjoyed immersing myself not only in the romance and mystery but the delightful scenes on board the ship and the characters’ excursions while off the ship. There is so much more to this story than I first realized, so it is indeed quite twisted. Every character is intertwined with the others so I was continually left guessing as to what new surprise would await me.

There weren’t many things to dislike about this book. It had a few minor errors which didn’t disrupt my reading so it has apparently been edited very well. There was a disturbing sexual assault near the end of the book, but it wasn’t something that would earn a lower rating.

This book is recommended for mature audiences and I would also provide a trigger warning due to the sexual assault. There is some violence but it is not described in explicit detail.

I can quite easily give this book four out of four stars. It’s a captivating mystery with well-developed characters. If you like romance, mysteries, and engaging dialogue, I would highly recommend Twisted Threads.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
-Amy
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for the compelling introduction of the series. It seems like my kind of book :)
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I must admit that your introduction is not only interesting but captivating as well. I am convinced and would want to keep the book on my "want to read" shelf. Well done!
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I like the the main character of this book. She is a geisha and an assassin who hopes to retire but must murder one last time. Along the way she falls in love. Ain't that an inviting story. Thanks for your good review.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
vitalisvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitalisvicky.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by vitalisvicky »

The title of this book is amazing. Hope the book was also interesting and action-packed. Since you mentioned that it is a captivating book, I'm going to search for it as I also love interesting and fascinating books.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I have also read this book. However I didn't enjoy it as much as you did. But I did enjoy your review, So thank you!
Rowan The-First
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

It is going to be fun reading these series. Thanks for your review.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

This book feels like an adventure filled with action and full of captivating scenes. Thanks for the lovely review and introduction!
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

I am happy that the book has good character development which is kind of lacking in some novels of the same genre. The story is not something of my interest but is still a very well-written review.
asteel18

Post by asteel18 »

T T 2 wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 08:01 I am happy that the book has good character development which is kind of lacking in some novels of the same genre. The story is not something of my interest but is still a very well-written review.
Thank you!
-Amy
asteel18

Post by asteel18 »

Hyacinth Bella wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 20:26 This book feels like an adventure filled with action and full of captivating scenes. Thanks for the lovely review and introduction!
I appreciate your comments!
-Amy
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the main character of the novel geisha turned assassin. Very original. Thanks for reading recommendation.
Lasty Kondijo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lasty-kondijo.html
Latest Review: Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten

Post by Lasty Kondijo »

First the title of this book is very captivating, I like it and the content seems to be good too from your review. Good work and it's a must read for me.
asteel18

Post by asteel18 »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 07:23 I have also read this book. However I didn't enjoy it as much as you did. But I did enjoy your review, So thank you!
I had to restart the book a couple of times because I couldn't get into it, but once I did I couldn't put it down.
-Amy

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”