Review of Inspector Mage

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Review of Inspector Mage

Post by Kibabcock »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Inspector Mage" by Aleese Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inspector Mage: Blood on the Floor by Aleese Hughes, immediately grabbed my attention. From the title, I was hoping for a murder/fantasy combination story. Hughes does not disappoint. Inspector Mage: Blood on the Floor is about a race of people called Oseran’s. Oseran’s are born with a gift referred to as a mage gift. There are several different mage gifts, the ability to create illusions, changing one’s appearance to look like someone else, the ability to strip someone of their mage gift, and the ability to mimic someone else’s mage gift with a quick touch. However, this only names a few of the most powerful mage gifts described in the book.

Inspector Mage: Blood on the Floor begins by introducing one of the main characters, Inspector Russell Gaines, who is a famous inspector that is on a hunt for a dangerous murderer, who is known as The New Age God. The New Age God has killed several people, including children. The police think that Inspector Russell Gaines will be the only person who will be able to catch the killer. However, a tragedy occurs that causes Inspector Russell Gaines to retire and become a drunk. Inspector Mage: Blood on the Floor jumps ahead several years to introduce the other main character, Julie Melton. Julie Melton is preparing her engagement party at the Melton Manor. During the party, a guest dies, and the prime suspect is Julia’s sister, Eliza Fletcher. Eliza’s father calls Inspector Russell Gaines to prove her innocence. Julie and Inspector Russell Gaines work together to eliminate suspects and find the real murderer.

I love everything about Inspector Mage: Blood on the Floor, especially the uniqueness of the subject matter. I have never read any other book like this and was entranced right from the first chapter. Throughout the book, there are several plot twists and surprises. Aleese Hughes does a great job detailing the different mage gifts and the description of the characters. I specifically enjoyed watching the characters, especially Julie, grow and develop during the book. The ending was a disappointment because it ended with a cliffhanger. However, I am looking forward to reading the next book.

Inspector Mage: Blood on the Floor is an easy read and very intriguing that I rate this book 4 stars out of 4. The book was professionally edited and contained no errors.

I would recommend Inspector Mage: Blood on the Floor to individuals who enjoy reading fantasy and mystery. Because there was no sexual content or profanity, I would say any teen or young adult would enjoy reading this book.

Inspector Mage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I think that I would pass on this one because thriller/murder combined with fantasy is just so overwhelming for me right now. I might give this a try when I am interested in fantasy/thriller again. Thanks for the review!
Emmanuel Anyalewechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pharmemma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Emmanuel Anyalewechi »

The caption on this novel is mind magnetic, unfortunately, horrors will be out of the content. Great review!
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I like how unique this book sounds. I can just imagine being in a world like the one the author created in this book. Having the power to change one's appearance is very cool. Thanks for the review.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

This concept of mage gift sounds fascinating to me
Thanks for this amazing reveiw
:tiphat:
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

Murder, in combination with mystery, is a good base for an entertaining read. You have written a great review. Thanks.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Jodeci 007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodeci-007.html
Latest Review: Inspiring Moments by Crystal Holdipp

Post by Jodeci 007 »

Murder mystery is one of my favorite genres. It's great to see that the author executed this one expertly, and I look forward to the plot twists as well.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”