Review of My Living Will

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Afreen Rahim
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afreen-rahim.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of My Living Will

Post by Afreen Rahim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Living Will" by John Trautwein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the best thing a child can do to his/her parents is staying healthy and alive. Unfortunately, author John Trautwein had to go through this. His elder son Will committed suicide when he was fifteen years old. John and his family is now the answer and solution for every teenager and their family through his "Will to Live foundation" and My Living Will.

John and his wife Susie were living with his happy family of four children, soon shattered as they lost their eldest one. They had no idea what their kid was going through because in their eyes and the eyes of others he was a happy-lucky-popular kid. The book goes through the journey of John and his family grieving, questioning everything and creating a new dream, a new will.

The first and most important thing that I noticed about this book is how John talks so honestly about the details about his son and his suicide. He assures us constantly that he is doing well. John is passionate about his work and foundation. As a baseball fan, I was intrigued in his way of coping using baseball analogies. Other thing that caught my eye was the title and the heading of chapters and how the author included the term "will". The quotes at the beginning of each chapters was a special meaningful addition.

I have never been this emotionally attached to a book. I was teary-eyed going through the pages. I felt their sadness. And felt relieved when they had people around them assuring that this wasn't their fault and helped them through the whole process. The pictures of the family made my heart sink as I felt like I personally know them, or I personally wanted to know them. The book also had a curiosity element. I truly admired the author's honesty and passion. I have never seen the world through a father's eyes, and this book helped me to see that. The knowledge, motivation and emotions I learned and experienced through this book are valuable because I don't think I can get it from any other sources.

As for the negatives, I honestly couldn't find anything. The book was professionally written, edited and executed. One thing I like to point out is the repetition of the son's funeral, but honestly, thinking in the perspective of the author, it is understandable as it helps to emphasize the pain they were going through. The book should be in the way it is written, because the author has personally experienced these and helps to keep the authenticity of the book.

Without a doubt, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 because this is really an eye-opening emotional book. The author's pain, honesty, hard work, and sincerity are overflowing in this work. I honestly wish that everyone in this world would read this book because I honestly have never read such an honest book. The book contains numerous Christian ideals, so consider that while reading. For all the persons who had lost someone, for those who are in a point of life considering leaving the world, I honestly hope that this book helps you. Give a chance.

My Living Will
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

What a heartbreaking tragedy this family has endured. It sounds like the author has done an excellent job of honestly conveying his journey. I hope he is consoled by knowing the help and information in this book may save other lives.
Thank you for your touching review. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I like how open the author was on the topic of suicide. This book is a very emotional one. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”