Review of A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"" by J. Wesley Porter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bear is a wonderful dog that the author's family has been staying with for over ten years. He was adopted by the family as a young puppy of the age of eight weeks and was weighing approximately five pounds by then.

Ever since he was adopted, he has been a great part of the author's family, and he has been a great source of joy, a symbol of love, and a friend to whoever has known him. The author's family has likewise been kind and loving to him. They have given Bear the care, love, and basic requirements, such food and shelter, that he needs. Together, they have all lived happily and harmoniously for over a decade until Bear's demise. Read about Bear, the wonderful dog, and his life in the author's family in A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter.

If there is a touching book about a dog, it is this one. The book is solely dedicated to Bear; it praises the great life he has had with the family and the wonderful memories that they've shared. Whenever anyone from the family arrives home, Bear is always the first to greet him or her, and no matter how hard the day has been, Bear does not always give up receiving them back into the house. He has also always brought life to the family, and the kids have never lacked someone to play with. Indeed, Bear has been given the honor he deserves through this book.

I am also struck by (and love) Bear's personality. He has been portrayed as a lively, humble, and happy dog. He has also been described as a dog who enjoys attention and care. Hardly have I read in the book that Bear harmed anyone, strayed from home, or has been aggressive in any way. The only instance when Bear crosses lines with anything in the book is when he chases rabbits, but he does that to protect his territory, which he thinks they are invading.

I have enjoyed reading the book, and I think it deserves 4 out of 4 stars. Furthermore, I don't think there is any negative thing that would make me give a lower rating.

The book is perfect for children who love pets. It encourages them to value every single time they have with a pet, and it also advises them to treat their pets well. Thus, it would be a great read for a family that wants to learn more about living with pets.

A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

What a warm and beautiful story. Being a dog lover myself, I can totally relate to the relationship shared between dog and owner. Bear seemed like the most wonderful dog!
Osito
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Osito »

This seems a very good children's book. I also love dogs and would like to read a book about them.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

Such an honor the author has for the dog! Dogs are man's best friends, thanks for the review.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Aztex Rex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aztex-rex.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aztex Rex »

The author and his family must have really loved the dog. I also have a dog at home and I can relate. Thanks for the review.
Emmanuel Anyalewechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pharmemma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Emmanuel Anyalewechi »

The book caption is interesting and being a dog lover, I will love to read this book.
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

The story about Bear has touched me. It's true dogs are wonderful creatures to have... They're so friendly and loyal and I bet they deserve recognition.
chinonye-nonye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonye-nonye.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by chinonye-nonye »

Bear the family dog. Quite an eccentric name. The story of the dog is quite interesting. Fine review
Essy moonlight11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-moonlight11.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Essy moonlight11 »

Quite a nice tribute to a hero dog! I've enjoyed reading this review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”