Review of Randy the Irresistible

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sochima I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sochima-i.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Review of Randy the Irresistible

Post by Sochima I »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy the Irresistible" by S M Goodier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love's parents, John and Marjorie Love had their lives all planned out; they'd give birth to only two children who are five years apart, then relax and sail around the world once the kids are all grown. But fate has something else in store for them as Marjorie takes in a third time and gives birth to Randy. Will Randy turn out any different than the planned kids?

Randy, the protagonist, is seen as a selfish young man who will do almost anything for freebies. He avoids commitment, sleeps with different women and buys the cheapest things available. He drops out of school and, after working on temporary basis for a while, gets a full-time job in a bank but feeling he deserves better, he applies for another job in London. Events lead him to move out of different apartments within few months. During all these, Randy meets Nicky, a worker in his brother's office, and she becomes a part of his life. Will Randy's adventure in London make him a better man? Will he be able after all to understand the importance of relationship with others?

S M Goodier's Randy the irresistible is a British comedy that describes the typical lives of young people- trying to pay bills, adapt to their newfound independence while figuring out who they really are. The book is light and funny for the most part. Goodier paints Randy as the type of guy everyone likes because he is fun-loving and doesn't raise your expectations. He moves through life without planning, landing himself in trouble most times. But because he is loved, there is always someone willing to help him out. I laughed a lot while reading the book especially from the character of George who had to switch off his hearing aid to tune out Randy's voice and focus on staring at Vikki's bossom. I didn't notice any grammatical errors and this helped my reading.

While reading this book, I felt there were a lot of unconnected events happening and it was confusing. But as I continued, I understood that they were all important for the character development of our protagonist.

I'll rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I totally enjoyed the book and I love the fact that the author didn't try to paint an 'ideal' youth for the readers. Everyone knows at least one Randy in real life and it was just fun identifying all those characters in Randy Love. The index of British terminologies at the end of the book is also a great help for non-British readers.

This book is perfect for adults looking to just relax and read something funny. There are however bits of erotic scenes so if you're uncomfortable with that, you shouldn't read the book.

Randy the Irresistible
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
katerina_12
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katerina-12.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by katerina_12 »

I would love to read a good comedy now. Thanks for the great review. I got interested in the book and will probably read it when I find the time.
Sochima I
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sochima-i.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Sochima I »

katerina_12 wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 09:33 I would love to read a good comedy now. Thanks for the great review. I got interested in the book and will probably read it when I find the time.
It really is a good read. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”