Review of Can I Be Frank?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Can I Be Frank?

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Father Francis, or Frank as he prefers, is a young British Catholic priest. Feeling proud when he was unexpectedly offered his own parish in Central Florida, he travels – for the first time in his life – to the United States. Being as green as grass, Frank faces a lot of awkward moments at the airport and upon arrival at his parish. Marked differences in American English, culture, food, and even the weather make it more challenging for Frank to adapt.

Despite his apparent naivety, Frank genuinely tries to preach the word of God and be there for his parishioners. However, his major problems only started after purchasing an old car. Unintentionally, he finds that he has lost a major benefactor to his parish and the diocese. Not only does his parish seem to be facing bankruptcy but also his moral credibility as a priest is being endangered by incredulous rumors. With the flimsy resources available and with the collaboration of a few friends, Frank also feels responsible for helping immigrant workers facing inhumane living conditions.

Can I Be Frank? is a novel with a great sense of humor written by Rob Wyatt. The novel shows how politics can be mingled with religious issues, and how the church itself can sometimes be under the grip of conceited hypocrites. Will Frank be able to face all unexpected challenges? Will the diocese get involved and come to the rescue?

Although the pace in the first chapters was slow, I enjoyed reading them. As I have been used to traveling since I was a kid, I can recall many observations of first-time travelers. Frank’s encounters at the airport were genuinely funny and enjoyable. His unfamiliarity with customs, signs, luggage trolleys, and even having a gigantic suitcase are all typical for someone moving to a different country for the first time.

I appreciated the fact that the novel became a bit adventurous at the end, and I also liked how it ended. The use of relevant scriptures at the beginning of each chapter was really smart. Not being a Christian myself, it was entertaining to have a look inside the Catholic church, although I am not sure how accurate it is.

Although I am not used to this type of reading, I had a great time reading it. It is humorous with a little bit of adventure. It is also professionally edited. Therefore, I think it deserves four out of four.

Despite being centered on the Catholic church and a Catholic priest, anybody can enjoy reading the book. Those who want a light novel with a sense of humor will find it worth reading.

Can I Be Frank?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Stories of priests involved in mysteries are a classic, I see the author included current topics such as migrants and added a lot of humor. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Sarah Sonbol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Thanks for your appreciation.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a light and enjoyable read. I was even picturing it as a movie as I read your review.
Thank you for your recommendation.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

It looks like I would enjoy this book since as you mention, it is humourous and also because it is a blend of politics and religion, all aspects that fascinates me. Thanks for your excellent review.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Sarah Sonbol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

MsH2k wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 20:58 This sounds like a light and enjoyable read. I was even picturing it as a movie as I read your review.
Thank you for your recommendation.
You are welcome. Yes, I think it could turn out into an enjoyable movie.
Sarah Sonbol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

J Edwards wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 09:50 It looks like I would enjoy this book since as you mention, it is humourous and also because it is a blend of politics and religion, all aspects that fascinates me. Thanks for your excellent review.
You are welcome. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Glad that you liked the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”