Review of To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Colling
Favorite Author: Mercedes Lackey
Favorite Book: The Fire Rose
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie-colling.html
Latest Review: Dreamer by Loretta Kendall
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2531

Review of To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up

Post by Jackie Colling »

[Following is a volunteer review of "To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up" by Charles Wiley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up! This Is My Story Growing Up Black In America by Charles Wiley is a courageous book that speaks directly to many social issues in our world today, especially those faced by African-Americans and people of color. Charles first released this book in 2013 to share his story in response to heightened black-on-black violence, as well as racism and profiling in the Cincinnati police force. With the heightened awareness of policing violence on African-Americans, shootings, and riots resulting in death across America during 2020 and 2021, Charles chose to release his book for a second time in February 2021. Charles succeeds in shining a bright light on the many social issues we are all facing. He also gives his personal witness to an appropriate response for all people who experience injustice and inequality. Charles shares his personal tragedies, achievements, humor, faith, as well as his support system throughout his biography. His strong connection to his family and community is inspiring, heartwarming, and encouraging.

Charles's writing style brings the tragedies of his life into stark reality and combined with his good experiences reveals his intelligence, vitality, and commitment to bringing all peoples together for justice, equality, and eradication of racism and prejudice in our society. Throughout his life, Charles has faced his problems head-on with tenacity and his Christian faith. His ability to vividly bring his experiences to life for African-Americans, people of color, and Caucasians is the shining glory of To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up! This Is My Story Growing Up Black In America.

While Charles's story is provoking and challenging for a brighter future, his references to his Christian faith may be off-putting to some readers. However, most of his references to God can be applied to any faith or belief system. Also, the violence and mildly graphic portrayals of his encounters with racism may be disturbing for people who are not aware these types of encounters really do occur.

I myself was challenged, inspired, and encouraged to be part of the solution for overcoming our many social issues. Charles's humor and ability to make his life real captured and maintained my attention on the issues and suggestions for handling these situations. Combining that with professional editing, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up! This Is My Story Growing Up Black In America is a great place to start for anyone interested in confronting our nation's social issues, including prejudice, racism, injustice, and inequality. I would recommend teenagers and adults read this book as some content may be hard to handle for younger people. Overall, Charles's biography is designed to influence and guide all people to a more peaceful route for working on these issues together.

To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Honestly, judging from the title, the religious element seems heavy-handed but the parts concerning racism and all its horrible consequences are certainly interesting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”