Review of Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review of Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad

Post by Rishi_reviews »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad" by Eric L. Heard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story begins with the author waiting for his son McKinley to come home. He was furious after finding out that his son got only 70 percent in his last maths test and wanted to teach him a lesson for this, as he had told him that education is the key to a happy life for him, cause being an African-American in this country is not easy. He called his wife during her work and told her about this, she scolded him and told him not to call her for small things like these during her work.

After some thinking he decided that he has to take some action for this, so when his son got back home he took his arm and started to scream at him furiously, after some time McKinley burst out screaming and crying. This made the father came back to reality, and he realized that he's being a bit too harsh on his son. Then he remembered the things he had learnt in childhood, and then he proceeds to tell us tales from his childhood and the teachings he got from them. And to know those interesting tales you have to read Reflections of an Anxious African-American Dad by Eric L. Heard.

Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad is a non-fiction novel, which is less than a 100 page big, but carries some pretty big lessons for life. The thing that I liked about this book is that the author has portrayed everything so frankly. You won't feel like he's exaggerating about any of the events or incidents or anything, everything is kept quite simple. The main reason that I picked this book was that it was so short, and by its description I was quite intrigued to read it, and it didn't disappoint me. As I finished it in almost a single sitting. The way the author has described his life and everything that he had been through was quite touching to me.

The storyline is really fascinating, and the plot is written fantastically. He started the story from just the right spot. There was just one incident of profanity in it, so that's something to note, and there was no vulgarity in it, so anyone can enjoy it. The vocabulary is quite easy to understand, and I didn't find any grammatical mistakes or typos in it, so I can say the book was professionally edited as well.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as it deserves that praise. It has some great teachings, it has negligible profanity and vulgarity, it's writing style is amazing, what more do you want in a book? I would recommend this book to African-American parents who are being too harsh on their kids for not living up to the standards. It will be liked by teens and young adults as well or any parent who wants to create a good bond with his/her children will also find it helpful.

Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Teaching valuable lessons through tales of author's childhood seems interesting. I am glad the author realized that he was being harsh on his son. Good review.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I imagine that the anxiety of an immigrant father comes from a lot of experiences, good and bad. I think I'll like this book.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I've read a number of books that deal with racism, and I'm eager to read this one as well. It will undoubtedly be a powerful read. Great job with the review!^^
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

The author is right; the key to a good future is usually a good education. I am curious as to the other lessons he learned through life. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:

Post by Rishi_reviews »

shravsi wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 07:29 Teaching valuable lessons through tales of author's childhood seems interesting. I am glad the author realized that he was being harsh on his son. Good review.
Yes, and he did so in the early stage only. Thanks for stopping by.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:

Post by Rishi_reviews »

Hhannahh wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 07:48 I imagine that the anxiety of an immigrant father comes from a lot of experiences, good and bad. I think I'll like this book.
Yes the author was very anxious about his sons future. That's why he wrote this book for everyone.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:

Post by Rishi_reviews »

Paluk Pathania wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 02:04 I've read a number of books that deal with racism, and I'm eager to read this one as well. It will undoubtedly be a powerful read. Great job with the review!^^
Thankyou very much. I appreciate that.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:

Post by Rishi_reviews »

Prisallen wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 08:52 The author is right; the key to a good future is usually a good education. I am curious as to the other lessons he learned through life. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Always a pleasure to serve my fellow readers with a good insightful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”