Review of The Fox

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Review of The Fox

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fox is a voluminous book authored by M. N. J. Butler. It is an epic tale best described as the most detailed fictional account of Spartan culture during the Long War. This war was between Sparta and Athens. At the time, Sparta was the most prominent Greek city, and it was famed to have the most disciplined, indestructible military in all of Ancient Greece. This book's story, akin to a memoir, is narrated from the first-person perspective of Leotychides, an heir apparent to the Spartan empire during the double kingship era of the Hellenic civilization.

In this account, we see Leotychides grow up in the palace of his father, king Agis Ⅱ. The latter feels discontent due to rumors that Leotychides was not his biological son but was instead sired by a famous traveling Athenian. At the tender age of seven, Leotychides joins the agoge (flock) system, where he and his agemates move out of the city and camp in the countryside. Here, they learn the ways of a true Spartan warrior. It is at this stage that his father dies while on a military campaign. The governing council then disinherits the young warrior and passes the throne to Agisilaos Ⅱ, his father's younger brother. Claims of the boy's parentage inform this decision. Are these claims valid? Will Leotychides reclaim his throne? And if he does, how will he do it? The author has divided this book into four parts, with the first book covering the main character's younger days in his flock and the final book talking about the later years of his life.

The first thing that hit my mind after downloading this book's review copy was that I bit off more than I could chew. I was faced with endless PDF pages that appeared quite intimidating. My savior was the story itself. Once I got hooked, I couldn't put this book down. There were legendary battles vividly outlined. The Spartan way of life, which I found admirable, was explained down to the little minute details. For example, I was unaware that Spartan men engaged in openly homosexual relationships, nor did I know that female Spartans had more rights than males. Would you believe that Spartan men gained citizenship only after the age of thirty? This book had so much information that I couldn't possibly list it all here.

I also liked Leotychides, both as an individual and what his role represented. This author used him to explore themes such as betrayal, love, discipline, leadership, vengeance, hard work, loyalty, and resilience, to name just a few. I also liked how everybody looked up to him, including his ability to cultivate long-lasting friendships, some even with foreigners he often had to fight on the battlefield.

Furthermore, I find it noteworthy that this book has a considerable number of characters. For perspective, I counted over 300 different characters in the book. Their Greek names were so similar that quite a number differed by a syllable or two. I found it pleasing that the author had the foresight to provide a glossary list of these names, thus limiting potential instances of confusion and misrepresentation.

The editorial work was the only aspect of this book I found somewhat wanting. Some sentences were very long and sometimes confusing. The format of the book that I read was not paginated. I also encountered a few subtle errors that didn't appear to be glaring. Generally, I would consider this book to be professionally edited because these minor issues were barely noticeable, and they didn't change the content or meaning of the book.

Lastly, I gladly award this book four out of four stars irrespective of the minor issue mentioned above. The author's ability to frame a surprisingly accurate account of Greek history into this compelling story with meaningful lessons informs my decision. For the audience, historic books lovers will relish this book. In addition, everybody comfortable with voluminous books and excluding young people who wouldn't grasp the complex nature of this story should grab a copy of this wonderful book.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by addicted reader »

This is a nice book. I once had an opportunity to read it, and it was interesting and action-packed. Hope you also enjoyed the story. Thanks for providing this insightful review. It can be helpful, especially to the novel readers who haven't had an opportunity to read the book.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I have just chosen thus book for review and I can't wait to begin. Hope I will enjoy it as much as you did. Thanks for the great review.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

This was my first historical fiction read and it did not disappoint. I have to admit you did its review great justice.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The author did a great job because through the narrative he created a completely authentic atmosphere. I liked the nicknames of certain characters the most and how everyday life in ancient Sparta was described. Thanks for the good review.
Jodeci 007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodeci-007.html
Latest Review: Inspiring Moments by Crystal Holdipp

Post by Jodeci 007 »

I occasionally enjoy historical fiction, and it seems that the author does an exceptional job here, especially with the themes explored through the main character's story. I look forward to reading this.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”