Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emmanuel Anyalewechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pharmemma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

Post by Emmanuel Anyalewechi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is Not What You Think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pastoring is not what you think is a fictional book by Elijah Oladimeji, which he used to clarify people's perception of being a pastor in this day-to-day time. While some see pastoring as business, aim to acquire wealth and live a flashy life. Pastor Job of the Church of All Grace sees his position in the church as God's calling, to help pray for people, pray for those who are weak to pray on their own, help the needy, and exercise his faith in God. Lorraine, his wife, on the other hand, tried to question her husband's faith and preferred obtaining immediate results instead of exercising faith which is not guaranteed.

This book has a lot of beneficial aspects. Faith in God is an important quality of a true Christian. This very point underlines the importance of this book to Christians. Faith is one of the cornerstones of our relationship with God. It strengthens our connection with God. Without faith, our prayers mean little or no effort. The author's ability to use some Bible verses to throw more emphasis on the importance of faith to Christians is remarkable. I enjoyed how he used intriguing stories to demonstrate different ways God attends to our prayers, and these stories got me engaged and immersed while reading. The story of Rodriquez, who feared being deported to Mexico from Texas, was a good example of that. For Rodriguez, not being deported from Texas was his prayer point which he pleaded with pastor Job to pray on his behalf, but surprisingly, God answered him in a different approach which favored him the most. Indeed, God's plan for us is always the best.

"People only remember God when they need help or go to church when they want to attend a wedding or funeral." And after they get help, they will forget the church. This will sound like a message to those, who have in one way or the other, jeopardized their closeness with God. This book will help readers evaluate their relationship with God. I benefited from the explanation he gave about the godly man and the moral man. This improved my understanding of the two.

The only negative aspect of this book that I found while reading was the poor character setting of the book. At some point, I found it difficult to figure out the speaking character, which affected my reading speed but not my understanding of the book. I found one grammatical error, and this implies that this book was professionally edited.

I will rate this book three out of four stars based on the book's poor character setting, which I mentioned earlier, which I know will affect some readers' understanding, even though mine was not affected. This book will be suitable for Christians, pastors, and those who have lost their faith in God.

Pastoring is Not What You Think
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

I just read a book about a church leader. Here's to another one!
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Interesting review. The part about the pastor's wife sounds alot like the biblical story of Job. Interesting title. Well done.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”