Review of How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AngieOdeh
Favorite Book: Whale of Wonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieodeh.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Review of How To Be Successful

Post by AngieOdeh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How To Be Successful: Think Like A Leader by M. Curtis McCoy is an inspiring book in which the author shares significant knowledge gathered from his life experience and the conversations with other successful people and leaders. It comes down to a collection of recommendations which the reader can apply in leadership strategies, business, personal life, and many other aspects.

This fascinating book provides insightful information about how to be successful and how to change your mindset. The author encourages people to never give up the fight and strive to accomplish their goals. McCoy depicts his personal story. At a young age, he was a successful entrepreneur in various fields. Despite his humble beginnings and suffering from type 1 diabetes, he was thriving. When he became 27 years old, the doctor diagnosed him with brain cancer. His prognosis was poor, with only three months to live. In his struggles, he suffered from short-term memory loss and other problems that impaired him to continue with his businesses, but that didn’t stop him. After some treatment in Mexico, he was back with an aim bigger than before, to inspire and motivate people.

In a unique form of lecturing, McCoy uses interviews with successful people of different professions, occupations, and backgrounds. Each interviewed answers a set of questions (the questionnaire is the same for all), and each one will answer, sharing a different point of view or a lesson we must learn and carry out. Between interviews, there are anecdotal stories, advice, and tips that can help you meet your success.

I liked the writing style of McCoy; it is friendly. I felt like I was sitting with a friend sharing stories. All those stories leave a positive print in your brain and fuel your spirit for reaching high yourself. This is a book to read over or come back to it whenever you are feeling frustrated or when you're feeling your business is not going well. Although the author uses the bible as his major book of inspiration, there are many quotes from distinct personalities. He teaches that each person is the author of his success, and there is nothing you can’t accomplish with dedication and hard work.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. It is truly empowering. McCoy writes in an easy-to-understand lexicon. Each chapter was directed to a specific point of reflection, a pearl of wisdom. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical mistakes, and it seems professionally edited. For the reasons mentioned, I'm giving How To Be Successful: Think Like A Leader the rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I enjoyed very much reading this book and would recommend it to everyone who is looking for helpful, insightful, applicable advice not only in their professional career but in their lives as well. I would warn those who don't abide by the bible teachings since the author often uses biblical references. It could be difficult to understand for people who are unfamiliar with the bible. Other than that, you can take your notes and start planning and taking steps towards your success. 

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”