Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Angel Maglasang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angel-maglasang.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Angel Maglasang »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dorothy May Mercer's fictional novel entitled Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War weaves together a carefully crafted story of romance and suspense. It retells the life and many experiences of Cynthia, who works as the Chief of Security for Senator McBride in Washington, D.C. She does this by moonlighting as a receptionist. Besides this, Cynthia also works with her brother Glen. Together, they get involved in a cyber war while trying to protect the country and its international allies. Amidst all the suspense and action, romance also remains as a part of the storyline. Cynthia is in a stable and comfortable phase in her relationship with Dan. However, this leads her to wonder if there could ever be more. With such timing, another love interest steps into the picture, and this turn of events spurs the romance further.

In its broader sense,Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War is a paradoxical read. Its pacing, relatable characters, and romance makes it enjoyable and allows readers to breeze through the whole storyline. At the same time, its layered themes, and suspense requires focus and deeper analysis. This layout somehow worked well for the book, since it allowed the whole narrative to be something more than just about a love story or a story all about spies and suspense. I love how the author is able to strike a balance between both themes. Both are interwoven seamlessly that it didn't ruin the overarching plot. The characters also have depth to their personalities. This is most clearly shown in Cynthia's monologues and her decisions. It showed character growth. The display of moral ambiguity of some characters is also a refreshing aspect of the story. The fact that the story also gave time to the other characters instead of focusing mainly in Cynthia is also a great feature in the story. Glenn's dynamic with Cynthia, along with Tim and Garth, shows that platonic relationships can also be engaging and fun to read. I also truly love and appreciate how the novel does not shy away from complex and controversial topics like abortion. I felt that it handled this topic really well.

My only issue with the entire story is the introduction of Sky. I felt that it was a bit rushed. His character is also not given enough time to become more fleshed out, although it is understandable that this might have been done to keep him shrouded in mystery.

I would rate this novel by Dorothy May Mercer with a 3 out of 4. My grievances with the story does not truly affect the quality of the book itself. Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War is well-written and it is truly worth the read.

I would recommend this book to readers aged 13 and above who enjoy a bit of romance along with some mystery and suspense. Readers who also love the concept of cyberspace and romance fiction would also enjoy this fictional novel.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”