Review of The Devil Pulls the Strings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliette1812
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliette1812.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Review of The Devil Pulls the Strings

Post by Juliette1812 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Devil Pulls the Strings" by J. W. Zarek.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Devil Pulls The Strings by J. W. Zarek is a sci-fi novel that tells the story of how strangers can work together as a team to save the city. Boone is a young man who has had a very rough life from childhood. He goes from being claustrophobic, to suffering from anxiety, panic attacks and guilt over his parents' death. He is also haunted by a wendigo, a cannibalistic giant whenever he's in dark places. Boone has supernatural powers which he received while he was young. He travels to New York to represent a friend at a music gig and there he meets Sapphire, a music student and an assistant of Professor Stone, a Professor of music. Boone and Sapphire find out of the plans of a secret society called Dragon and Nymphs, to summon the devil and destroy the city. This evil society needs three invaluable pieces of music from Paganini, a music legend, to summon the devil. Boone and Sapphire resolve to stop them and they team up with another secret society, Lavender and Roses to thwart their plans and save the city. Will they succeed? Read this book to find out.

There are a lot of things I liked about this book. I especially love the way the characters were portrayed. Boone, the protagonist, was portrayed in different ways. One moment he's confused, the next he's funny. I also loved Sapphire's character as I found her particularly interesting, especially with regard to aspects of her life which were not elaborated on. I equally found the Detective quite fascinating as he was portrayed as strict and gruff with a little sense of humour. The sprinkle of romance added by the author between Boone and Sapphire and how they relied on each other in times of trouble also made me enjoy this book all the more. The plot was not confusing in any way as it was well structured and arranged. I commend the author's choice of words as it effectively passed across the message to the reader. The book captured and held my attention, as I couldn't stop reading till I was done.

I enjoyed reading The Devil Pulls The Strings a lot and I couldn't find any negative aspect about it. I would describe this book as adventure-filled. I love everything about this book especially the choice of words and its deep depth into history. I also loved the mode of narration used by the author as well as the plot and storyline which were understood easily. I would love it if this book had a sequel that focused on the life of Boone and Sapphire.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the book from the beginning to the end. The storyline was captivating and the plot was well structured and quite detailed. It was also exceptionally well-edited as no errors were found in the book.

I recommend this book to people who love and enjoy fantasy books, especially those that dwell on magic, science, and history. It is not suitable for people who are easily triggered by violence.

The Devil Pulls the Strings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
KingPraise001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingpraise001.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by KingPraise001 »

It's interesting how we can make the best of relationships in people we don't know! They help us fulfill our dreams and goals. Thanks for the awesome review
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

Imagine thousands of lives being dependent on three pieces of music and strangers who have just met being tasked with saving the city. How dangerous is that? I am excited about reading this book. Thank you for such an amazing review.
Winnrich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winnrich.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Winnrich »

Moving from a person suffering from claustrophobia and anxiety to becoming a hero is quite inspiring I must say.
Thanks for the review!
Stella Aniemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-aniemeka.html
Latest Review: Architect of Death at Auschwitz by John W Primomo

Post by Stella Aniemeka »

Sapphire intrigues me too. I'm not into sci-fi, but I'll give it a trial.
Thanks for the review, I also hope a sequel for Boone and Sapphire will be out because I am truly a sucker for love.😍
Ikeoluwa 02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ikeoluwa 02 »

I've read this book and I must say it's a great book. Your review did justice to how amazing the book is. Thank you
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

I'm easily triggered by violence. But this review has made the book really tempting. Great work
Unique_Itunuade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Unique_Itunuade »

The transformation of Boone the protagonist into the expectation from him is triggering but I am sure I would like to give it a try because I could be easily triggered by violence, for those who are into sci-fi novels via this review, I am sure you will enjoy the novel, thanks for the review.
Lucy2005
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy2005.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy

Post by Lucy2005 »

Boone as a character fascinates me. Am giving this book a trial, thank you for your review.
OEA_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oea.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by OEA_ »

I like how Boone is portrayed in different personalities. This review is exhilarating. I can feel the adventure. Well done.
Mileylex112
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mileylex112.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Mileylex112 »

I have also read the book and it's quite amazing and full of adventures. This is a honest review and it is detailed.
Ghrey Thel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghrey-thel.html
Latest Review: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story by Mark Zullo

Post by Ghrey Thel »

I already feel excited to read this book. Thank you very much for a wonderful review
Ekanem Onyinye Uduak-Abasi
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekanem-onyinye-uduak-abasi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ekanem Onyinye Uduak-Abasi »

This book is bringing back the nostalgia of I, Frankenstein and Mortal Instruments. Some people maybe thrown off by violence and gore in books, but I absolutely love it. I can't wait to read this book.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

It is funny how situations can make strangers trust and depend on each other. Thank you for the review
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

This book is quite tempting. I really can't wait to read it. Nice one!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”