Review of My Special Day in Jasper,Texas USA

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of My Special Day in Jasper,Texas USA

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Special Day in Jasper,Texas USA" by Jermaine Kenyatta.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Special Day in Jasper, TX USA: A Black History Story is a children's book by Jermaine Kenyetta Kenyetta (co-authored by Charles King). The book is written in memory of Martha Maxine Adams, also called 'Mackie'. Before Martha, black children and white children are not allowed to study together. During this time, America has a racially segregated education system; black kids go to different schools from the ones the whites go to, and mostly, there is a lot of discrimination in the treatment the two schools receive.

However, Martha's mother decides that her daughter would go to the school the whites go to. By doing that, she sets the stone rolling towards equality in education in Jasper, Texas, so that every child would afterward get the same quality of education regardless of skin color. But the journey isn't easy—they have to battle the hatred and bullying by the whites, and go through many legal tussles. With the help of her mother, her teacher, and some of her friends, Mackie manages to sail through all that and successfully finish her education.

The book strongly speaks against racism, especially in the education system. I love this the most. The book has proved, through Martha, that no child is limited no matter the skin color, and it's not fair to hate a child and give him/her an inferior education simply because of his/her skin color. It also shows that racism—and the hatred and bitterness, and bullying that comes with it—is nothing but a mentality that people build in their minds. Martha's mother says, quoting directly from Page 15 in the book, "...some folks, black and white, is just afraid of change. When things go on for so long, some folks just think that’s the way things ought to be."

I've fallen in love with some characters in the book, including Martha, her mother, and Mrs. Gannon, Martha's teacher. I'll only focus on Mrs. Gannon for now. Unlike most white teachers, she wasn't mean or racist. She was wise with how she handled Martha, and she in a way helped Martha not to feel the hate and discrimination around her. One day when the children were to go to the library, she invited Martha to be her 'personal assistant', and they drive together in town. She knew very well that Martha would not be allowed into the library because of her skin color and looked for a way to make her avoid that and make her feel special at the same time.

While I think the book boldly speaks about the racism black children received during Martha's days, I am not sure how children would receive this, especially black children. The issue it speaks about is emotive and hate and bitterness may overshadow some children's perception, and they may fail to see the overall aim of the book (which is to show how racism is detrimental and that everyone should shun and avoid it).

The book seems professionally edited, but I found a few errors. It is informative, and I love how strong Martha and her mother are and how kind Mrs. Gannon is. However, the book is emotive, and this may bring a positive or negative effect depending on the reader's reception. Weighing all these, I rate the book 4 out of 4.

The book is great for teaching children against racism. Children will learn that however much we can't change history, we shouldn't hold grudges or bitterness about what happened in the past and that we should instead strive to build a better present and future.

My Special Day in Jasper,Texas USA
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

I think children should be taught how detrimental racism is so that they can shun it right from a young age. Nice review!
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Aztex Rex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aztex-rex.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aztex Rex »

I wonder whether the subject fits children. However, I think it is a nice book judging from the summary.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

It's really important to teach children to accept all races and to hate racism. The book really looks great based on this review and the message it conveys is of utmost importance, but I think the way it tackles the matter better suits adults and young adults rather than children. The cover also is not a one that suits children. Thanks for the informative review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

Teaching about the negatives about racism is one step into winning the fight against it. Nice book and review!
Essy moonlight11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-moonlight11.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Essy moonlight11 »

Racism is for sure an eyesore. I think such books will greatly help in spreading the word about it. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”