Review of Randy the Irresistible

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Review of Randy the Irresistible

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy the Irresistible" by S M Goodier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier. This story is about a man, Randy Love, the third child of John and Marjorie Love. His mother gave birth to him unexpectedly, disrupting the laid down plans she has made concerning her family. Harriet, the first child is an emotional young woman, though efficient at her work. When she started working, other employees takes advantage of her. She then decides to change from a delicate personality to an uncaring one. James, the second child is an intelligent man with a career in law. He is the type of person that can't handle life defeat easily. Randy is a handsome and charming young man, that keeps having ladies fall to his charm, even without making much effort to get their attention. He is someone that believes too much in himself and always finds a way of trying to make people go his own way. Randy takes on an adventure of becoming successful on his own and making more money. Randy walks through life as an adult filled with making decisions and responsibilities. Will Randy realize what is expected of him in the real world?

I love that the author included a British slang dictionary at the end, it is a wonderful aid for the readers. The story had so much humour in it, I found it very intriguing to follow to the end. I also love how the character, Randy has so many traits that remind me of how life is for some people. I also love some of the antics that Randy did. For example, the bet with his co-workers about George. I also love how the story was easy to understand.

I don't like how there were too many characters in the books, it affected how the character development is expected to be and prevented me from staying too much on any character. I also don't like how the change in Randy's reckless character was too sudden, like it was just written as an impromptu addition. The plot was missing a direction, like the author had issues deciding how the story was supposed to end. I also don't like how the story ended, it felt so incomplete.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The editing was good except for the absence of a few punctuations marks, though not the main reason for the score.

I recommend this book to young adults that are facing life as an adult. The book contains some sexual content, bad language, therefore stay clear of it if you don't like books in that category. If you can handle the profanities, the book is humorous and relaxing to read.

Randy the Irresistible
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
KingPraise001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingpraise001.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by KingPraise001 »

Randy sounds like an interesting personality. I like the way you wrote your review giving each understanding details. Great review
Ikeoluwa 02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ikeoluwa 02 »

Randy seems like a great character with how he was portrayed in your review. Nice Review.
OEA_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oea.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by OEA_ »

I like your brief exposé on the characters, as well as preparing me for what to expect. It is a book I'll love to read after reading your review.
Well done.
Jossy_04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jossy_04 »

Captivating review! I love the way Randy was talked about in this book. He seems lovable but like every other human he had some bad characters too. Good job.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

Born with charisma and knowing how to leverage it? Randy sounds like a great character, one I would enjoy reading about. Thanks for such a lovely review.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

I've read this book and i think your review explains I perfectly. That bet with George was really fun for me too. Great review
Winnrich
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winnrich.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Winnrich »

A story addressing serious issues without missing out on humour is going to be worth reading.
Thanks for your review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

i am curious to find out if Randy managed to find his right way in life. I loved reading your detailed review!
Edet Joy
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edet-joy.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Edet Joy »

I've had this book in my library for quite some time now, contemplating on when I should read it or if I should even read it. Your review has me digging up the shelves to find the book, Good job!
Lucy2005
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy2005.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy

Post by Lucy2005 »

I love all the characters mentioned in this review, especially James who doesn't take defeat easily. Looking forward to reading this book, thank you for the review.
Millene2004
Currently Reading: Chasing the Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millene2004.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Millene2004 »

I recently completed this book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

Randy is an interesting character as portrayed in your review. I’ll love to read this book but the sexual contents is kind of hindering me. Thanks for the great review though.
Whosmarn61
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whosmarn61.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Whosmarn61 »

Randy sure sounds like an interesting character, the third child of his parent, a handsome young man with the desire to be successful. This book sure sounds interesting.
Mileylex112
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mileylex112.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Mileylex112 »

This book will a very interesting one to read and will be a book adding value to life as there will be a lot of lessons to be learned from Randy. Thanks for your honest review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”