Review of Rise of the Savior

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Review of Rise of the Savior

Post by Sharon Christanto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rise of the Savior" by Antoine Bonner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner is a fantasy book that will hook up the readers, starting from the first page.

Amanda is an 18-year-old cheerful teenager with no exact plan for the future after finishing high school. Her 6-year-old little sister, Saira, is her exact opposite, with her witty comments and calm nature. Amanda gets curious about Saira’s sudden change in personality but refuses to believe when Saira tells her about deity. Amanda learns the truth in Saira’s story when Jamie kidnaps children across the city to save his dying boy and eventually knocks everyone who stands in his way, using his power as the acolyte of death. He aims for Saira as his next target. Now, it is up to Amanda as the acolyte of truth to save Saira and humanity from Jamie's wicked plan.

Bonner creates each character comprehensively, making their interactions dynamic. Saira's calmness emphasizes Amanda’s bouncy personality. As the story progresses, Amanda also goes into significant personality development. She becomes a more mature and compassionate young woman. From Amanda and Saira, we can also learn to be supportive siblings, eager to help when in need.

Jamie, the main antagonist, reminds us about our feelings towards death and dying. Many people are afraid of death, and they are willing to do anything to keep alive. But in reality, no one can live forever. Death is a process that anyone has got to experience one day.

The book is plot-oriented, full of surprises, and fast-paced. Bonner draws inspiration from the Hinduism aspect of spirituality hence the words 'chakra', 'kundalini', and 'prana' are used widely in the story. The author gives brief explanations when introducing these words to avoid confusing readers who are not familiar enough with the Hinduism concept.

The downside part is, despite the novel being fast-paced, most of the time, I do feel it is too fast to grasp new information. Especially when it comes to transition between places and every time the author introduces new characters. I have to read very carefully not to miss any details. There are misspellings and minor grammatical errors scattered throughout the book, but they do not interfere with the reading experience.

Overall, I enjoy reading this fantasy book, giving it a rate of 3 out of 4 stars. Action-packed with many unpredictable plot twists, leaving me wanting more despite the profanity words and several graphic violent scenes. I recommend this book for fantasy book readers with a minimum age of 15 years and older.

Rise of the Savior
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

The concept of this book is out of the ordinary and would've strived if only its bad aspects were not prominent. Thank you for the insightful review!
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

thuriya albayaa wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 10:13 The concept of this book is out of the ordinary and would've strived if only its bad aspects were not prominent. Thank you for the insightful review!
Yes, I enjoyed reading it. I hope you'll enjoy this too, Thuriya!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Although I don't enjoy reading fantasy novels, you have made this sound interesting. I don't think I would enjoy the fast-paced action that you described though.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

When my friend told me about this book, she didn’t talk about Saira and Amanda. Thank you for bringing them up. Now I am interested.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Your review is honest and insightful, it let me know I had to know about this book but left more out to entice me. And that right there is what makes a good review. Thank you for sharing.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:

diana lowery wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 08:49 Although I don't enjoy reading fantasy novels, you have made this sound interesting. I don't think I would enjoy the fast-paced action that you described though.
Thank you :) yes, if only the story pace was a bit slow, it would be easier to understand
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:

Amiczy Magnus wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 10:26 When my friend told me about this book, she didn’t talk about Saira and Amanda. Thank you for bringing them up. Now I am interested.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy reading the book! :)
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:

OTrain M wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 16:15 Your review is honest and insightful, it let me know I had to know about this book but left more out to entice me. And that right there is what makes a good review. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for the kind words, your comment makes my day! :D
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

Jamie seems like a very determined man who would do anything to save his son. Thank you for this very honest review. I would check this book out.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I love fantasy so this book seems great. I wonder what deity Saira and Amanda discover. But the too fast pace is disheartening. Thanks for a lovely review! :D
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I actually enjoyed this book. Thank you for an honest review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:

Niens Now wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 13:07 I actually enjoyed this book. Thank you for an honest review.
I'm so glad if you like it! It's an amazing book indeed
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:

Rashawn Carter wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 18:37 I love fantasy so this book seems great. I wonder what deity Saira and Amanda discover. But the too fast pace is disheartening. Thanks for a lovely review! :D
Yes, if only the author slowed down a bit, it would be perfect!
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:

Darlington O wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 19:59 Jamie seems like a very determined man who would do anything to save his son. Thank you for this very honest review. I would check this book out.
So glad if you decide to check this book out, I hope you enjoy reading it

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”