Review of The Fox

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of The Fox

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fox by M.N.J. Butler follows the life of the main character, Leotychides. He is the supposed son of King Agis II of Sparta, known as "the Cockerel". Sparta had two kings- Agiad and Eurynpotid. Leotychides hopes to become a Eurypontid king, but the circumstances surrounding his birth could cut his dream short. Then, it was normal for older men to require younger men help them bear strong sons. Leotychides became disappointed when he realized he was a product of such a tradition. King Agis II acknowledged Leotychides existence on his deathbed, and Leotychides, through this, hopes to succeed his father. However, his uncle, Agesilaus, ascends the throne, which sends Leotychides into a phase of disappointment. Would Leotychides be able to achieve his dream of becoming king?

In this historical fiction, M.N.J. Butler exhibits so much knowledge of Ancient Sparta and Greece history. The book is said to be a work of fiction, but the detailed description makes it seem real. In this book, we see a compromise of age-long traditional standards, as a result of Agesilaus' greed and selfish desire. Possessiveness and jealousy are also displayed by Timaia, Leotychides' mother. She wouldn't have her son display affection to other people. We see this when she sends away a maid because of how fond Leotychides was of her. This is a book about history, war and royalty.

I loved the humility of Leotychides. Although born into royalty, he decided to be raised with "the flock". When Spartan community boys became seven years of age, they were raised with the flock. We see Timaia reprimanding him, but Leotychides still acts as a normal Spartan would. He is dedicated to seeing Sparta united once more. It was interesting to know that his royal quest wasn't selfishly motivated. He fought to fulfill his promise to King Agis II, his late father.

Something I found useful was the glossary and list of characters. It helped me to understand the Greek and Spartan terms that were used in this book. It was commendable. In addition, this book reflected the ancient times and the Spartan ways. It was insightful to know what constituted victory in a war, what should be regarded as a compromise, and generally, the ways of the people.

As much as I found this book insightful, I felt bombarded with a whole lot of information. The list of characters was so long. Many times, I had to keep going back to check the characters because I lost track of the identities of some characters. I also felt like it was a bit too detailed, causing the book to be voluminous. I appreciate the descriptions, but some pieces of information could have been done without. I believe that this would have created an easy-to-read fiction. I'll rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited and insightful. Though I had a problem with the list of characters, I can't fail to give the author credit for this historical masterpiece.

Once again, if you do not like history, you may want to skip this. I recommend this book to history lovers, especially people who are familiar with ancient Greece and Sparta.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

Although I would prefer a book with a small number of characters, I still think this book is a good read. Nice review
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Ritanuncia1 wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 04:56 Although I would prefer a book with a small number of characters, I still think this book is a good read. Nice review
Thanks for stopping by.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

The author did great with developing so many characters,great review.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I'm interested in Greek and Spartan history and indeed I found this book to be a great read too! Thanks for this review!
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Fine Brand wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 07:29 The author did great with developing so many characters,great review.
I think so too. Thanks for stopping by.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha Yakub »

DyanaFl wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 08:48 I'm interested in Greek and Spartan history and indeed I found this book to be a great read too! Thanks for this review!
Glad you liked it too. Thank you for the comment.
Nan_Syl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-syl.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Nan_Syl »

I may not be a lover of history, but this character leotychides is one I would like to read about later, thanks for this review.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Nan_Syl wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 02:23 I may not be a lover of history, but this character leotychides is one I would like to read about later, thanks for this review.
Thank you for your comment. I hope you enjoy reading about him.
Stizzy Monday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stizzy-monday.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Stizzy Monday »

We should have more loyal noble blood. It's great to see a royal personality fight for the cause and unity of his territory. Awesome review.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

The long list of characters was overwhelming. Had to at some point, make a list of the characters, trying them to a particular event so that I couldn't forget.
Laura P 2
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-p-2.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Laura P 2 »

I truly enjoyed reading this review. It sounds like an amazing book! Although, I do not like many characters as well because I lost track too easily.
Ugonna Nworka
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Spirit-Controlled Temperament
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ugonna-nworka.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Ugonna Nworka »

This excellent review has called me to this story. Although I admit, I feel a little bit wary about the excessive characters mentioned in this review. Nevertheless I think this will be a good read. I am going to read this. :techie-studyingbrown:

Thanks for the honest review. :tiphat:
Amelia-Lily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-lily.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Amelia-Lily »

Ritanuncia1 wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 04:56 Although I would prefer a book with a small number of characters, I still think this book is a good read. Nice review
I agree. I just picked up the book though and I have not yet gotten to the captivating parts.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I love how the flock operated. It ended up raising Leotychides to become a great person. Thanks for the nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”