Review of Young Americans

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Giftiee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giftiee.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review of Young Americans

Post by Giftiee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Young Americans" by Peter S. Rush.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's 1977 in Bogotá, Colombia. A young man, Tommy is taken away to the fortress prison in Bogotá for seemingly vague charges. His girlfriend, Sandy was nowhere to be found by him. His business partner-in-crime, Harry wasn't also with him. Had Harry taken away the money? Where was Sandy? How did Tommy get into prison? What was his offence? Was this retribution? Young Americans written by Peter S. Rush tells the tale of Tommy Logan who was introduced to a certain Harry Burr by his rich girlfriend. Sandy Carlton, Tommy's girlfriend whose father was senior vice president of Georgia Bank and had a well-to-do family had in Tommy's words, everything she could want, yet she wanted to be heavy. Since she had a lot of connections, Sandy offered to introduce Harry to Tommy, they meet, Tommy sells "coke" to Harry, gets paid for it, they become partners and the story begins... Will Tommy ever get out of prison? Who tries to save him? Read this book to find out.

Young Americans is a blend of a lot of things like illegal business deals, con men, drug trafficking, sexual assault, murder, gun-running, smuggling, dangerous dealings, police brutality, to say the least. There are lessons to be learnt from this book. The fact that this book is relatable especially for young people was what I liked most about this book. People, especially young ones, just like Tommy, in a bid to make money real quick and because of the thrills of fast wealth, get involved in a lot of criminal stuff and when the police comes knocking, they start to regret their actions. I also liked the author's ability to portray Harry as a con man, who, after a lot of business deals with Tommy, wanted all the money and made no move to save Tommy, Sandy and his family when the time came.

There is nothing in a particular I dislike about the book and I found no negative aspect. Although the ending was not quite what I expected, Young Americans is a good read.

This book was professionally edited as I did not notice any error while reading. An engaging and thrilling novel, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

This book is highly recommended to young persons especially those old enough to live away from their parents. There are some sex scenes however, and those who don't like books with such scenes should stay away.

Young Americans
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I like reading books which settings are located in the present day, but your review made it seem like a good book. I suppose I will give it a try.
Giftiee
Currently Reading:

Post by Giftiee »

Shridhar S wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 15:51 I like reading books which settings are located in the present day, but your review made it seem like a good book. I suppose I will give it a try.
It is a good read. Thank you so much for your thoughtful response😊
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I sense betrayal! I should get this book immediately. Your review has gotten me really interested. I bet Sandra has everything to do with Tommy’s imprisonment.
Giftiee
Currently Reading:

Post by Giftiee »

Amiczy Magnus wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 11:14 I sense betrayal! I should get this book immediately. Your review has gotten me really interested. I bet Sandra has everything to do with Tommy’s imprisonment.
Reading the book would give you your answers, I guess. Thank you so much for passing by and commenting.😍
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Poor Tommy. Just when he needed everyone, he was left alone. I'm eager to see how he pulled through. Thank you for the review.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

While I am curious about this book, I think I will pass on this one for now. It seems plenty dark if its encompassing themes like sexual assault, drug trafficking, etc. Thanks for the review!
Giftiee
Currently Reading:

Post by Giftiee »

Raymond N wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 00:47 Poor Tommy. Just when he needed everyone, he was left alone. I'm eager to see how he pulled through. Thank you for the review.
Thank you so much for commenting 😊
Giftiee
Currently Reading:

Post by Giftiee »

DyanaFl wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 08:34 While I am curious about this book, I think I will pass on this one for now. It seems plenty dark if its encompassing themes like sexual assault, drug trafficking, etc. Thanks for the review!
I guess it is, thanks for stopping by✨

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”