Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Review of Kalayla

Post by Rita Nuncia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is a fictional story centered on three female characters with different personalities, Kalayla, Maureen, and Lena. Kalayla is a smart, outspoken 11 years old who has a problem with socializing with her mates in school because she believes them to be "dumb". She becomes independent after her mother's meltdown caused by the death of her father and became rebellious after she discovered the truth about her maternal family. Maureen, Kalayla's mother struggles to adjust to life as a widow and a single parent through taking two jobs, taking care of her daughter, making new friends in her new neighborhood while attempting to also have her personal life. Lena Barzetti, a seventy-two-year-old widow who owns the apartment Kalayla and her mother lives in, takes an interest in Kalayla because Kalayla reminds her of her deceased twin sons when they were at Kalayla's age. Lena and Kalayla develop a strong bond and she ends up becoming an important part of Kalayla and Maureen's lives. They learn to face their challenges, heal from past wounds, and come to love and depend on each other while trying to reconnect with their families.

I love the way the author used first-person narrative. I also like the author's choice of words and how he uses different dictions that suit each main character's personality and point of view. Furthermore, the clear descriptions of persons, places, and events are intriguing and captivate the mind of the reader till the end of the novel. The clarity and simplicity with which each chapter is written make it easier to understand and relate to the characters. In addition, I love the plot and how the author rather explored some important societal issues like domestic violence, abuse, racism, and homosexuality.

The book is a good read with an amazing plot and the themes were properly developed. I love everything about the book. I find no fault in the book.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. This rating is because everything about the book is remarkable and the author did a fantastic job.

I would recommend this book to those who love to read books on a family story and anyone who loves a good read. However, I do not recommend this book to children or anyone who gets triggered by violent scenes because it contains a few scenes with domestic violence. I also do not recommend this book to persons who do not like profane words. Kalayla is a wonderful and enjoyable book.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

As a fan of this book, I find your review incredibly detailed and lovely. This book truly is a great ride. I particularly enjoyed the influence of Tina on Maureen’s and Kalayla’s lives, and the surprising ending of the book. Thank you for the delightful review, I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Themmie10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themmie10.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Themmie10 »

I especially love the ending of this book where everyone get the ending they deserve, the happiness they deserve. Thanks for the explicit review!
DekuSHUN
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dekushun.html
Latest Review: The Time Stone by Jeffrey Estrella

Post by DekuSHUN »

This review makes the book look so interesting to read, and these 3 women sound like they went through a lot, from the death of a father and husband to the old lady who lost both her boys, I love the way the reviewer cited those societal issues like homosexuality without giving too much detail makes me want to read the book even more.
Ghrey Thel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghrey-thel.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Ghrey Thel »

I've read the book and various review of it, but I like how unique and how straight to the point yours is. Nice job
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

Kalayla is worth four stars and more. Great book, great review
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

What a lovely review. Kalayla is a great book and its characters are deep. Especially Lena who is a living proof that it is ever too late to seek redemption.
IamPeculiar01
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iampeculiar01.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by IamPeculiar01 »

I have read Kalayla and it's an amazing book. Your review is detailed and well explained. Well done!
Goody2004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody2004.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Goody2004 »

Kalayla, tho I've not read the book it feels like I have. Your review is nice explains the book so well. Keep up the good work.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I have read Kalayla and it was indeed a great book. The characters are so lovable. I like your review of the book.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Kalayla is one of my favorite books. Great review.
Boredreader24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boredreader24.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Boredreader24 »

This book was one of my absolute favorites,
I feel kalayla shows us what it means to be truly independent.
Nice review
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

My all time favourite. Great review. Every independent young girl should read this.
Whosmarn61
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whosmarn61.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Whosmarn61 »

Thanks for your review, this book Kalayla sounds interest. Kalayla, Maureen and Lena sounds like interesting characters and it will be good to get to know them. Great job on this.
Stella Aniemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-aniemeka.html
Latest Review: Architect of Death at Auschwitz by John W Primomo

Post by Stella Aniemeka »

I am a huge fan of this book. Lena is a formidable character that resonates with me. Lovely Review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”