Review of Crossroads

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Crossroads

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Crossroads" by Andrew Slac.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tom Valentine was a successful businessman based in New York, New York. He really wanted to date his secretary, Roxanne. That, in itself, was not anything a million other bosses didn’t want, but he was too shy to do anything about it. That was the strange part about this situation. He had never had a dream while he was sleeping. Then, in the space of just a few hours, he had what he considered not just dreams, but nightmares. Mr. Valentine found himself doing things in those dreams that he had never even considered.

He took a vacation from the demands of business life to celebrate his mother’s birthday in New Orleans. While there, he encountered people from his old life in New Orleans and made a few new acquaintances. However, as this was happening, his dreams continued. In Crossroads: The Death and Life of Tom Valentine by Andrew Slac, Tom struggled with how to make sense of these dreams, whose meaning was not clear. How could he have known what was coming?

I really liked the description of what Tom felt after the altercation with the drunk man at Mardi Gras. Mr. Slac was able to make me feel as if these things were happening to me. I liked Tom’s surprise at what he could experience and how he learned to go about it. He realized that everyone who meant anything to him was in his corner. There was even a bit of humor, if you understand what Tom was talking about.

I thought that the story had a slow start. None of the things that I was looking for in this novel began to happen until the middle of Chapter 5. It was a nice story up until then, but more of what you’d call background. I was also not impressed by the interchangeability of the words "hoodoo" and "voodoo." I would have preferred one or the other consistently.

I recommend this novel to older teenagers and adult readers. There was a fair bit of profanity that is not appropriate for younger readers. I do think that this novel would be good for readers who don’t imagine anything good ever happening to themselves. People who are not fans of seeing something out of the ordinary will probably want to skip this one.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It takes a huge imagination to come up with the things that happen to Tom. In order to make Tom an appealing character, even with his changes, Mr. Slac had to have a good understanding of what the main character was feeling. That was probably made more difficult by the fact that Tom was fictional. My rating has been reduced by one star because the book was unnecessarily long. The entire plot could have been covered in a novel that was about half as long. All of the excess sometimes made it hard to concentrate. Another star was removed from the rating because I found more than ten errors. Because of the books’ length, however, it has probably been edited, these just got through the process.

Crossroads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

This doesn't sound like my type of book, especially when it's an unnecessarily long romance novel. Thanks for the review
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

This book isn't really something I would pick when I walk into a bookstore and I don't feel like stepping out of my comfort zone right now. Good review, though.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Hussein21 wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 06:44 This doesn't sound like my type of book, especially when it's an unnecessarily long romance novel. Thanks for the review
Thanks for commenting! :D
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Shridhar S wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 09:18 This book isn't really something I would pick when I walk into a bookstore and I don't feel like stepping out of my comfort zone right now. Good review, though.
The cover wasn’t my cup of tea either! Thanks for reading it. :lol2:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I can't help wondering what his dreams were trying to tell him. I hope the author takes your criticism constructively and shortens the unnecessary parts of the book. Thanks for your honest review!
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

I wonder what became of Tom and Roxanne. I am curious to know also know how the nightmares came about. Thank you for your very honest review.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I’d like to know what his dreams meant. I like how you concluded your summary. I’m sure it awakened everyone’s curiosity. Nice review.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Prisallen wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 15:39 I can't help wondering what his dreams were trying to tell him. I hope the author takes your criticism constructively and shortens the unnecessary parts of the book. Thanks for your honest review!
Hmm! I wonder. The book will tell you.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Darlington O wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 20:01 I wonder what became of Tom and Roxanne. I am curious to know also know how the nightmares came about. Thank you for your very honest review.
What could it be?
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Amiczy Magnus wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 14:58 I’d like to know what his dreams meant. I like how you concluded your summary. I’m sure it awakened everyone’s curiosity. Nice review.
Dream, huh?
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

I am really curious to know how Tom was getting those dreams and how were they connected to his past life.
Thank you for an amazing review.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Amy Luman wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 16:07
Amiczy Magnus wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 14:58 I’d like to know what his dreams meant. I like how you concluded your summary. I’m sure it awakened everyone’s curiosity. Nice review.
Dream, huh?
Nightmares yeah 😹
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Muskan Upadhyaya wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 22:26 I am really curious to know how Tom was getting those dreams and how were they connected to his past life.
Thank you for an amazing review.
I think you’ll like it if you can stand the length and overlook the errors. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”